amunta
step one
step one
Stay classy, core77.

There were a few negative comments on the "Decoding the design language of the 2019 Lexus ES350" post, written by a cofounder of core77. Now the comments section has been removed completely. Free speech, as long as they agree with you, I suppose.

One person said the grill is ugly.

Another person commented saying the dashboard is ugly.

I left a comment questioning the article as a whole; it read like it came directly from Lexus' marketing team. I also said it was ugly inside and out.

I don't see how their design ethos is different from any other luxury vehicle. Attention to detail, quality materials, easy to use, orientated around the driver, all things that are inherent to luxury vehicles. The post didn't say much about design except for these basic principles.

For a blog that is targeted towards designers, I'm disappointed that a negative critique will be silenced.
yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
That is one ugly car in a line up of tastelessly designed cars... so many nicer things from a design perspective to get with your money.
KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization
yo wrote:That is one ugly car in a line up of tastelessly designed cars... so many nicer things from a design perspective to get with your money.
I totally missed the ad/post, but I also think we are mostly splitting hairs here (a comparable priced BMW 3 series):
lexusvsbmw.jpg
lexusvsbmw2.jpg
In my mind both have slightly different target audiences and personalities, and sure if you are into one you might dislike the other, where I used to live in California having a BMW was synonymous with being a young wealthy douchebag, while having a lexus (or cadillac shudder) and older wealthy douchebag. Audis were kinda cool though.

To finish my hijacking of the post, I think automotive design in general is in the gutter, part of the ongoing Designpocalypse, consider this trio of mom-suvs I spotted outside a pilates studio the other day, had to make a double take since they are all different brands:
samesamebutDifferent.jpg
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"
ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 76078
The insect-like aesthetic we see in many Asian brands is decreasing in popularity here in Europe too.
We still like the simplicity you saw in the previous generation Audis, currently especially Volvo and BMW seem to be doing well.
The Citroen Cactus is overubiquitous which we just shouldn't mention here probably.
What strikes me is that there is hardly any brand anymore that gets a car right as a whole - the lines and details all working together.
Like it does in the Audi TT, Porsche 911, MX5 and BMW Z series.
http://www.id-z.one
IDZone - Product Design || Visualisation || 3D Printing
NURB
amunta wrote:Free speech, as long as they agree with you, I suppose.
A website allowing you to comment on an editorial has nothing to do with free speech. How do you feel your 1st amendment rights are being violated?
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro
NURB
yo wrote:That is one ugly car in a line up of tastelessly designed cars... so many nicer things from a design perspective to get with your money.
Without a doubt. They've always been very awkward, visually. And the enormous hourglass grill needs to be gone 3 years ago.

However, I challenge you to find something with a better overall build quality for the same price. Beautiful German cars that I prefer, cannot compare.
Chris Haar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro
amunta
step one
step one
NURB wrote:
amunta wrote:Free speech, as long as they agree with you, I suppose.
A website allowing you to comment on an editorial has nothing to do with free speech. How do you feel your 1st amendment rights are being violated?
Is it a sponsored post? Why delete comments if it isn't?

I just think it's a weak approach, especially from the cofounder of core77. Can he not take criticism?
yo
Administration
Administration
If build quality is your reason to buy a Lexus, let me bust that myth right now.

Do yourself a favor and get a Kia Stinger.
35799370_10104144825443444_545311922895978496_n-1.jpeg
35799370_10104144825443444_545311922895978496_n-1.jpeg (118.64 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
NURB
Consider myself pwned...

My how times have changed. Look at where Ford is on that list! And I'm really excited by what Kia is putting out lately. I've caught myself double-taking not knowing what I saw was a Kia.
Chris Haar

yo
Administration
Administration
Dude, I was just as shocked when I saw this year's list! One of my good friends is a designer over Genesis and he said they are pretty much high fiving on the daily about this. I think the next generation of product is going to be really nice... and if someone told me to go spend my own money on a new sedan, I'd seriously consider the Stinger (it is a little big for me, but still a couple of inches shorter than a Camry)...