Product Renders

I still think it might be a result of the rendering tools. Check this out. I used some old CAD I had from a phone I worked on with Brian Cutter that sold on the Chinese market about 6 years ago. If I do an in canvas render and set the resolution lower it comes out grainy. Let it bake a little longer, a little less grainy… then 20 mins of photoshop.

MD

Some of it is certainly short render times. But it is also quite often a deliberate stylistic choice.

A lot of CG tutorial will mention adding grain at some point in their process. And that trend seems to have made its way to ID.

Here’s an example from Lumion.

I think some of the images on this project use this technique to good effect. Yes the black plastic has a texture but it feels like grain is added everywhere as well.:

Stop the hate.

#NoiseLife

Hey guys,

Just for original reference here’s the unfiltered vs filtered version of the OP.

I modeled this in gravity sketch (exports crude .obj files), rendered in keyshot, added noise and chromatic aberration in Ps, and finally a instagram filter and adjustments.

The main reason I add the post-processing is for realism. Google “how to make a render look realistic” and you’ll get all kinds of tips and tricks on how to add imperfections to achieve a more photorealistic render.

-Nick

I still prefer things a bit less noisy.

Here you can see another one with the times spent.

not enough time in the oven:

A bit more time in the oven:

Went for a walk with the dog and came back:

5 minutes of photoshop on top

Those 5 minutes on top make such a big difference. Don’t get lazy folks! (Also, reminding myself…)

just a little bit of levels, camera raw filter, and making the LEDs glow.

You use F360 for all modelling?

We have been using it pretty extensively here. 2 of our clients have been trying it as well.

Weird mapping of fabric texture on the top.

Black Cherry Boom.

#NoiseLife

I think the noise suited the first render of the phone, but the boom one is too grainy for me and I find it distracting from the actual product.

I think the noise can look good from a style standpoint, but I am having a hard time seeing it adding realism when applied to an entire image.

That is pretty cool! Did you purely edit it in photoshop?

a little selective noise…

I always thought that this was only in student renderings done at the last minute! Seems like a trend now.

One place where I have seen noise work is in depth of field. DOF can add some drama to a render, a little more realism and some grainy artifacts that look like a photo and not a render.

Back.

Hey Hector, you know you can make CAD models of your own designs and not just recreate my work right? :slight_smile:

I spent sometime in the film vfx world before moving into ID. This trend may be new to the ID world, but it’s a common technique used by 3D film compositors. It’s used to match 3D to film plates during post production. The reasoning being 3D renders often come out looking to perfect and clear compared to the film footage which often has sometime of grain associated with it. Another trick was to use an edge mask to slightly blur the edge of 3D assets to break up super sharp pixel transitions with film footage.

Every photo-realistic render should have some type of grain, as many other’s have said in this thread we are simulating a camera photo. That being said it should be used with a reason. Close up or detail shots on small and even large products should include noise along with DOF. In context product shots should also include a small amount of noise to match the photo background. Pretty much any other type of product shot can include less than .75% noise to just break up that perfect render look. This all being said it’s a stylistic choice for many designers but these are the rules of thumb I was taught as a VFX artist.

Came across this the other day: