Page 1 of 1

(Tangible) Studio Tools - Show & Tell

Posted: January 27th, 2018, 6:11 pm
by Cameron
Tack Board (or equivalent affordable 'post stuff on the wall' solution)
I saw this really cool tack/bulletin board that looked like a giant rice krispie treat made of dark gray rubber erasers. Finding stuff like this online is tough though, amid all the office junk conglomerates. Any tips or suggestions?

Staplers (I need one once a month so I want a cool one)
- Core77's own article. I wish I could afford the MoMA one:
http://www.core77.com/posts/40250/Stapl ... Approaches

Any other category suggestions? If there is enough interest maybe this could turn into a useful reference thread.

Re: Studio Tools - Show & Tell

Posted: January 27th, 2018, 6:36 pm
by sonofscrotum
I clicked on this thread thinking it was about Alias StudioTools. :shock:

Re: Studio Tools - Show & Tell

Posted: January 28th, 2018, 7:11 pm
by Cyberdemon
sonofscrotum wrote:I clicked on this thread thinking it was about Alias StudioTools. :shock:
Me too...I was jazzed up to see some fresh NURBS action.

Re: Studio Tools - Show & Tell

Posted: January 28th, 2018, 7:59 pm
by yo
I don't know if fresh NURBS action makes it through our filters...

:lol:

Cam, I've seen that material you are talking about. I think it is an acoustic insulation material. In my studio I'm using the large foam core sheets that we used to use at Sound United and that we used at frog. They are just so easy to move around when different clients come over and what not.

Here is that material:
https://robinreigi.com/tac-acoustical-panel/

Re: Studio Tools - Show & Tell

Posted: January 29th, 2018, 8:01 am
by iab
Cyberdemon wrote:Me too...I was jazzed up to see some fresh NURBS action.
I believe that is a private matter between NURB and his partner.

Re: Studio Tools - Show & Tell

Posted: January 29th, 2018, 10:05 am
by IDiot
Cameron wrote:Tack Board (or equivalent affordable 'post stuff on the wall' solution)
I saw this really cool tack/bulletin board that looked like a giant rice krispie treat made of dark gray rubber erasers. Finding stuff like this online is tough though, amid all the office junk conglomerates. Any tips or suggestions?

Staplers (I need one once a month so I want a cool one)
- Core77's own article. I wish I could afford the MoMA one:
http://www.core77.com/posts/40250/Stapl ... Approaches

Any other category suggestions? If there is enough interest maybe this could turn into a useful reference thread.
Cameron

Tack Boards

The boards you're referring to are probably Expanded Polypropylene
https://robinreigi.com/tac-acoustical-panel/

Stapler
I would probably get on the staplers from Scott Wilson's run at Swingline
https://www.behance.net/gallery/3792409/Swingline
I worked on some while I was there, but these are still classics in that arena to me.

Re: (Tangible) Studio Tools - Show & Tell

Posted: February 1st, 2018, 2:58 am
by Cameron
Wow, you guys are good! Based off my silly description I get two hyperlinks to the exact thing I saw back in the day. We'll see if they make any exceptions to their MOQ rule, I don't need $400 of that stuff. If they don't I'll totally go with foamcore, Yo. ;)

IDiot, thanks for the tip. Those are nice, but I'm looking for something a little more timeless. :)

My favorite studio item aside from my Knoll Pollock Chair is this series of clocks that was on KickStarter 4 years ago.
https://vimeo.com/82660145

I'll add more stuff here sporadically as it comes up. :)

Re: (Tangible) Studio Tools - Show & Tell

Posted: February 1st, 2018, 3:02 pm
by IDiot
Probably also not what you are looking for, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this at Target the other day.
https://www.target.com/p/swingline-vint ... A-52859275

Same format/architecture
https://shop.bodhitree.com/products/kli ... an-stapler

Curious if others have any good recommendations.