Culture at your company

I love the ideas so far. Here are a couple things I like about my workplace:

• there’s always a few people cooking on griddles in the back during lunch. Sometimes our boss just brings in a ton of food and cooks for everybody just for fun. It’s become a great place for a break, and good place to chat.

• there are bosses, but discussions hardly revolve around them. They are the final decision makers, but often they encourage us to make the best decision we see fit. I’ve worked with bosses that try to be the funnel for all communication, and decide everything for you, and it’s night and day compared to what I have now. Creativity and good reasoning reign supreme here, and that’s often not the most efficient way to work. Discussions and meetings can sometimes drag on, but in the end, everyone is satisfied.

• we like to ask each other’s opinions, even across department lines. I’ve noticed it really helps me develop and become more well-rounded as a designer when I better understand perspectives from sales, executive, and manufacturing teams. I feel more fulfilled when I know I’m not only meeting my goals as a designer, but also the goals of the rest of the team.