coolest watch

Modern Man’s uniform is simple. He keeps his essence pure; his body unadorned and unencumbered with a brands, labels, tattoos, piercings or other assorted jewelry.

Modern Man’s favorite watch is the nearest device with a clock.

wouldn’t the closest device with a clock indeed be your watch?

Correct.

It would be difficult to be closer than pressed up against your skin.

I think a clock implant would be ridiculous. But that’s just my .02.

And there is precisely the rub, why would Modern Man want an Apple Watch, let alone an iChip consider that he already has an iPhone?

/ Modern Man is destined to someday inherit a Rolex for which he’ll have no use either.

// The only thing Modern Man ever likes pressed up against his skin is a beautiful nude woman.

So you walk around nekkid?

Probably not atypical for LA.

Within the privacy of Modern Man’s home, that happens on occasion, sure.

Otherwise, the uniform mainly consists of semi-loose fitting garments made of cotton and or linen.

So theres been quite a bit of blog press on the Movado watch designed by Yves. But noticed today that the dial surfacing is missing an index. Hopefully its just a photomodel error

I had been hoping they were going to describe how to browse the UR-202. Wonderful watch. . .just fly-arounds. I’d enjoy being compensated to make an animation similar to this in Maya! Insane!
Update: I Purchased a Nixon. I believe we have posted here , but I will post a movie . My camera broke this weekend until I could take it and that I really don’t have a cel-phone using a camera. I am so bad. https://ductinluxury.com

Ooooo, I forgot about this thread. While I don’t wear a watch (although I would like to think I am not as creepy as MM), I do like the eye candy.

Who’s got something new?

I picked up a Farer Hudson over the Summer. I’m wearing it pretty much everyday now. Really like how versatile it is- can wear it into the office, out on the weekend or to fancy stuff. The detail on it is awesome.

Next thing I got my eyes on is the Autodromo Group B. Got to see it in the metal a few weeks ago and now I can’t get it out of my head.

I’ve got a group B with he fabric strap and love it! I have been on mission lately to buy as little as possible but I also can’t get the new metal band out of my mind… ugh.

I’ve always been partial to watches without lugs on the case, with the strap attaching straight into the circular case. Ikepod is the first that comes to mind.

Love to see this thread come back!

@Engelhjs: I would love to see an Ikepod in person, but haven’t had the chance yet. I like that those lug-less watches feel smaller on the wrist than other watches. E.g. a 46mm diameter lugless watch might feel the same as a 44mm diameter standard watch.

@iab: Is Modern Man still around? It doesn’t seem like it, but I hope he stops back by sometime. His posts were gold.

A design friend and I were talking about how “ID people” don’t always have the same aesthetics as “watch people,” and that traditional watches will seem a little over-the-top to an IDer who isn’t used to them. But as the IDer gets accustomed to the design languages and styles of different watches, they will learn to appreciate the more extreme watches. I only liked the minimal watches at first, but have really started to appreciate other styles like aviation and diving watches. Of course, this appreciation is still through an ID lens.

This Bremont (ALT1-ZT) below is not for everyone, but I really like how the thin, blade-like lugs contrast the thick cylinder case. There is the nice stainless steel / black color contrast too. Like the Ikepod, I haven’t seen one in person but definitely appreciate it from a sculptural standpoint. All of their designs have a similar lug and case style with some variations, which is a nice design language.

The Omega Speedmaster is one of the most famous watches of all time, and I probably didn’t love the swoopy lugs (called lyre lugs) when I first saw them, but think they are sweet now. I probably wouldn’t draw a shape like this often, but it’s neat to see something unexpected. Compared to some more traditional geometry, they seem to hug the wrist and wear very well — a boxy lug of similar proportions would not look nearly as sleek. The way the light catches the angled side is pretty neat.

@robbie- Bremont kills it! I’ve always loved the details they hide on the case under the lugs. I remember putting a bremont that had a crazy bright orange knurl detail on a couple moodboards awhile ago. I really like the angled crown on that one. Also Omega is amazing, goes without saying.

It’s funny you mention that about ID people because I think I just made the switch to a more watch person mindset more recently too. I think the mindset swap came from understanding the craft + complications a little better. I used to think that anything beyond the super minimal watches were way too much for no reason, and therefore bad design. But now I look at how much goes into creating a really successful watch and the passion and story these guys have for making these watches just sells the whole hobby to me.

engelhjs, I love that Ikepod is back. I guess it was bought out and brought back to life. The hidden lugs has been done for decades before (check out some vintage dive watches from Seiko and I think). I think it is technically called a “hooded lug”… but Ikepod sure is a beautiful example.

These guys make a pretty cool hooded lug watch as well: https://www.bolido.rocks

It is interesting, I don’t really have any desire for a smart watch. Beter health tracking would be nice, but can’t they just build that into a traditional watch? I know there is that one company that does it, but it isn’t quite right.

@Eton: I know the exact knurled orange watch you mean! That one is meant for image boards ; ) That is a good way to describe the allure of traditional watches too. Things like a Mercedes or Snowflake hour hand might look weird at first, but then you realize it does make it easier to distinguish the minute and hour hands at a glance. I hate how being a picky ID person means that nothing about a watch will be perfect though. E.g. the case, dial, bezel, and straps can all be beautiful, but if the hands don’t work for me, the watch is no good.

@Yo: I don’t know if Bolido uses the term themselves, but I’ve heard of a similar case shape described as a “bullhead” style. Definitely a distinctive look! On a few smart/sport watches, we tried to go with a hooded lug design but the garage-like cutout took away too much of the internal volume for the battery and other components … and so it turned back to the old fashioned lugs.

I think he (although I’m not fully convinced of “his” sexuality) timed his entrance and exit superbly. Like a meteor. You don’t want too much of a good thing.

@yo - Do you know of any peer-reviewed outcomes of a health feature on a smart watch? I’ve heard the stories about elevated heart rates used as a heart attack diagnosis, but the reminder to stand occasionally? Get your steps in? A dumb alarm would handle that easily, no need to be “smart”. And I’m not convinced that feature actually does something.

Just butting my head into here - from a strictly fitness/training point of view the HR readings with the optical systems will never be as accurate as a chest strap. Somewhere over 160bpm the signal degrades, which if you are on any kind of serious cardiovascular training plan and relatively young and fit is where your workout starts! Just digging into Wikipedia for searches on heart rate monitoring will net research papers. Look at ‘ballistocardiography’.

I’m glad this thread popped back up as well. The Seiko 5 hacks are fascinating and seem to be very well done. Something about this combination of Japanese hardware, mechanisms, and the irreverence of re-configuring a ‘stock’ item really appeals to me. If I had the scratch I’d love to go in for some Bamford customized and barely recognizable Swiss 'piece.

[ Deleted ]