Home studio setup - Tips wanted

I have an empty room that I want to build my home design studio in.

I need some pointers to get me started the the right direction.

Do you have any tips or recommended sites for me to check out?

I tried some basic googling but all that came up were companies selling furniture.

you have to make it in a way that you are most comfortable with. If no clients will ever come there you can go nuts. Make sure you are organized, know where your things are and most of all have a BIG table, 好不好

Thanks yo1976, no clients will go there.

不客气

Don’t get a cat. They’ll destroy your productivity.

Or kids, who are wonderful, don’t get me wrong. But, dang, can they ever mess up a studio, but fast. My studio is 200 square feet, 13 foot ceiling, and the day after I moved in and got my computer equipment set up - boom. Lego everywhere.

Anyway, are you building a new structure or moving into an existing space? A new structure is one set of answers, an existing space is another.

It’s just a plain room that I get to use in my new house. It’s about 16 feet x 16 feet.

I’ll need to get some kind of decent lighting too since I’ll be working there after my “normal” job. Recommendations in the lighting department will also be appreciated.

I used to have an office lamp which adjust it’s brightness according to the daylight outside, it was pretty cool but the lamo was ugly as hell. Unfortunaltley I can’t remember the manufacturer. Don’t have anything reflect on your screen and have your table face towards a window if you can. That’s how I like it

I second the high ceilings comment, mine too are 13 feet. And bounce a lot of halogen light off that ceiling, helps the psyche. Watch out for east facing windows in the A.M - specially if your computer screens are facing outward. The A.M glare will continuously be fighting you.

William speaks the truth here. It’s 8:45 in the morning, in Austin, and my east facing windows are letting in so much light, I can barely see the computer screens. I designed this building using SketchUp and ran all the yearly sun cycle simulation light casting tests to make sure the right light came in for painting. But there’s a catch - what’s good for painting and traditional sculpting is bad for digital design.

Oh well. Live and learn. For some artists it’s actually helpful to be forced to a schedule. I have to do the traditional work in the morning and the digital work in the afternoon.

+1 on this. I’ve resorted to running bird videos on my second screen to keep my cat from bothering me.

There were some good comments in this thread

I worked for myself for several years and can add a couple ideas

• the ability to separate work from rest time… a physical barrier, door, etc. Shared spaces made the separation hard to maintain. I felt like if the space was just for work, it was like a mantra and would put me in work mode right away

• Ways to stay in good touch with people. I used videochats a lot, and having a professional setup made me feel better on calls. Good light, good camera, good connection, nice background

• Planning for good organization. I personally like being able to put everything in it’s spot, ideally hidden from view so the whole workspace is peaceful (and I can let it get really messy with projects and clutter doesn’t get mixed in)

• Good flat surfaces for drawing and putting drawings. Monitor arms to add desk space. Pin up wall areas, like painted fibreboard.

• Good professional chair, ideally something that’s inspiring

• headphones/speakers

• Easy ways to back up your data drives easily and redundantly

• Desklamp for evening work

• totally agree with the glare issues

** I liked having a cat! I was working remotely full time though and appreciated the company…

hope this helps

I am an architecture major and my professor has done a wonderful addition to a warehouse creating a studio office.

http://www.ryan-studio.com/

Look at the Tree House Studio.

I’m with Travis, keep the cat. You need someone to bounce ideas off of, even if it’s not a human.

I’m with Travis, keep the cat. You need someone to bounce ideas off of …

Not to mention wadded up sketch sheets, etc. … the problem I have with that is that my Manx, Bosco, retrieves…