2025 Design

Hi guys, new member here!

I am currently studying in my first year at Coventry University.

Our new design brief requires a variety of products to be designed ranging from food storage, to the preparation of food, and to assist the way in which food is eaten. This particular range of products are to be launched in 2025, and so therefore must represent social, demographic, environmental and technological changes that will happen between today and 2025.

With no clear indication as to where the world will be in 2025, I am asking your opinion where you think the world will be in 2025, mainly focusing on the particular areas of; food preparation, food storage and food eating habits.

I have emailed numerous food related organisations; Nestle, Kraft etc, and none of them have been in a position to assist me or answer my question.

I am hoping some of you guys on here can!

Many Thanks,

Rob.

Make them radiation proof and not dependant on petroleum :slight_smile:

Hi Rob,

Maybe try e-mailing a few futurologists. People stuck in academia will be of most use to you. The likes of Kraft won’t be because they won’t knoe themselves. You probably panicked them. Also maybe worth looking into printed food. Get your hands on Febs Icon mag, there was a good feature in their. Good luck. I’ll be interested in hearing about what comes out of it. Sounds like an interesting project.
Phil

Isn’t this an old Electolux Design Lab brief?

Hi Phil,

Thanks for taking time to get back to me. I am more than happy to keep you posted of my progression with the project, once it has all been submitted and marked etc. This should be around the end of March!

Rob

Cool. sanjy009 is right, I recall that being the brief a year or two ago. Have a look at what they produced for that - may spur a few ideas

One way you could do it would be with a Delphi forecast… you might want to look it up. Its a common technique companies like Philips uses and it’s like what you’re already trying to do with a twist

Basically you do research on your own, then find experts in the field that you’re doing a future forecast on. You contact them and ask them for an interview on the subject. You ask all the members the same questions, getting their different takes on the subject, then when you have all the responses, you put them together into one streamlined report and send it back out to the same people, then get their take on it again. Sometimes this cycle can go on a couple rounds, and it’s like moderating a brainstorm session that’s more thought out

The hard part is finding people to survey, but there are a lot of interesting people doing research on the future of different things… you can find them. If I were you, I would more research and contact specific people rather than send a letter to a corporation where it could get lost (just guessing that’s what you did). There are also future forcast associations, etc that have people that are thinking about these kinds of problems all the time - I contacted a few I found online for a project in 2010 and some were very helpful - they think about this subject all the time. ( I tried to look up the futurist association, couldn’t find it, but did find this link Futures studies - Wikipedia)

Anyway, hope this helps - good luck

Hi,

From my personal opinion i would like to food to be more holistic and whole(least tempered with, delivered in just once stage , process) rather than processed and artificial additives added kind. there is excellent way it can be made possible to lead healthy and successful life. Talk to a Traditional and reputed Indian and traditional eastern doctors, with ‘Design Doing’
and smart recombination of design world you might get on some path. : )

kind regards,
p

Ironically enough, I did send off numerous letters and emails, and only very few companies got back in touch with me! Tesco’s were probably of the most helpful. They couldnt really tell me much, but they took their time out to phone me, and write me a letter. The project is due in a month, so im sort of well on the way with designing some futuristic kitchen appliances, but their is still plenty of time left, to include some more conventional designs, that maybe aren’t as detailed as the others! Thanks again all!

That’s how it goes sometimes, you just have to be persistent and keep trying if you need interviews…

As a student, you have a lot going for you though. I did the the future study while in MA brand strategy programme and was surprised how much access you could get with companies as a student. Many of the companies I worked work would never have opened up as much as they did if I had been out of the university and working