Re: 3D Printing

February 11th, 2012, 8:27 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
Never confuse a tool with the ability to use that tool creatively. Like any technology, 3d printing is amazing when used by skilled people, and meh when not. I've used this example before, but word processing programs have existed for a long time and I'm guessing most of us in here have not written a novel. Most of us have the ability to produce music and edit movies on our laptops yet I still prefer to listen to professional musicians and watch Hollywood movies.

There is only opportunity here.

Opportunity one: The JK Rowling: undiscovered talent is discovered. We love to glorify this one, but it is the exception not the rule

Opportunity two: already skilled professionals have a better faster tool to be more effective and get more unique results

Opportunity three: if this really does go mass and consumers have home printers.... Someone will have to create and sell the designs to be printed... Wo do you think that is? The professionals in the opportunity two scenario. In this case though, said professionals have the ability to bypass the industrial commercialization process, freeing them from the large amounts of capital necessary to productize, market and distribut a concept. Consumers can "commission" custom designs. Files will have self erasure or auto billing encoding to ensure every time a file is printed the original creator is compensated or once a set limit is reached the file will delete or no longer function. In this scenario the professional designer has more work not less, design will become more adventurous as it won't need to go through the watering down process necessary with risk mitigation, and users will get better products through the massive direct communication and competition.

But that is a long way off. Most printers are very limited in terms of materials and colors they can print and most products are highly complex. You won't be printing any consumer electronics in you lifetime. Maybe a custom case to a phone. At this point printing a toothbrush would be practically a miracle due to the different material properties in each component.

February 11th, 2012, 10:13 pm

nxakt
full self-realization
full self-realization
There is a direct precedent and equivalent in home industrial history that makes the estimation of the future of 3D printing clear to me.
Brother-Innov-Is-10.jpg
Brother-Innov-Is-10.jpg (29.98 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
Hobbyists will use them.
Young designers will use them to develop skills.
The public at large will not notice and continue to consume through industrial channels. Average people don't make things.

February 11th, 2012, 10:48 pm

rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
nxakt wrote:There is a direct precedent and equivalent in home industrial history that makes the estimation of the future of 3D printing clear to me.
Brother-Innov-Is-10.jpg
Hobbyists will use them.
Young designers will use them to develop skills.
The public at large will not notice and continue to consume through industrial channels. Average people don't make things.

+1. Concise.

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

February 12th, 2012, 8:32 am

mrtwills
full self-realization
full self-realization
Did anyone happen to catch this news story this week?
A women got a new jaw transplant, that was 3D printed! Pretty awesome.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- ... ransplant/

February 12th, 2012, 9:16 am

Playdo
step three
step three
Great analogy Nxakt.

February 12th, 2012, 9:38 am

mrtwills
full self-realization
full self-realization
We shouldn't just be thinking of this as what can or can't do with this one product. I think of it as another step towards what's next. What is that? Who knows, that's kind of the point of our profession right? There are some great points in the post. A DSLR camera doesn't make someone a great photographer, BUT it gives the opportunity for someone to become a great photographer. You can put a sewing machine in front of me, and I can't do anything with it, but I could learn. The point is that it gives more people the opportunity to work in a medium that they couldn't before and that's a great thing. I think it's naive to say 3D printing is just for models. That has been the primary purpose to date, but I'm betting someone will think of something new and I don't even dare to believe I can guess.

February 15th, 2012, 9:15 pm

sanjy009
full self-realization
full self-realization

May 11th, 2012, 12:38 am

scrotum
full self-realization
full self-realization

October 4th, 2012, 9:57 pm

scrotum
full self-realization
full self-realization

October 9th, 2012, 12:13 am

scrotum
full self-realization
full self-realization

October 11th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Virides
step one
step one
They aren't aren't sewing machines. Better analogy is microwaves ovens.

October 11th, 2012, 5:27 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
how so?

I think the sewing machine analogy is pretty apt... though maybe a CNC machine much more so, but not as publicly recognizable.

October 11th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Virides
step one
step one
Well I was hungry earlier so microwave popped into my head.

If anything is the sewing machine, it's 3D CAD. This is the part of process where skills, talent, and intent come in. But even that is missing the important part.

Your 3rd point is more like it. Designs of disposable consumables will be purchased and downloaded. People will still purchase items that have to be mass produced, the meaningful complex objects and things. But the quick hits, the knicknacks, the convenience items will be printed at home. This is the microwave paradigm

The real promise is what people will come up with once they mess around with it enough. As materials get better and machines more efficient, they will proliferate, and critical mass may cause applications to develop that we haven't thought of. Think PCs and spreadsheets. All it takes is that one killer app to blow the lid off the thing. Next thing you know you'll have dozens of people, hundreds even, all over the place skating on the thin ice of the morphic resonance. Parts, things, ideas will pull us so far and so fast away from what we were doing before.

What it will be or what we leave behind is/might be anyone's guess. It could happen sooner than you think

October 12th, 2012, 6:18 am

nxakt
full self-realization
full self-realization
I was confused so I googled...
Morphic resonance is a term coined by Rupert Sheldrake in his 1981 book A New Science of Life. He uses the expression to refer to what he thinks is "the basis of memory in nature....the idea of mysterious telepathy-type interconnections between organisms and of collective memories within species."
...and I remain confused.

Anyhow. I'll invent a concept of "hobby resonance". The part of the human brain that resonates with the idea of making something at home. A void in the consumer soul that needs to be filled. The "hobby resonance void".

To fill this void in the common man and woman and child, we have been offered solutions. Sewing machines, Dremel tools, Roland desktop CNC machines, bread making machines, Easy bake ovens. Now we have home 3D printing to add to the list.

I expect the end result to be the same.

October 12th, 2012, 8:36 am

Virides
step one
step one
hobby resonance
I like that
Kind of like this hobby