Inspirational Design Shorts

one more from Christoph Niemann

Not exactly short at over an hour, but nominally inspirational (for a limited time): Chair Times: A History of Seating

Illustrating design development from 1807 to the very latest designs straight off 3D print.

Preview:

that is really cool they made that. Perfect time to share an you long video :slight_smile:

Not the best video but interesting to see it explained for non designers.

more in the spirit of continual improvement, some good reminders for myself.

If you hate this chair as much as I do, (as do the Swiss in Basel, apparently) here’s a thoughtful video on its background, design, and lack of cultural context:

Great post. They tick off a lot of boxes of “good design”:

1. accessibly priced
  2. functional (good sitting proportions, nice little flex)
  3. easy to make
  4. stacks

But like a lot of designers mentioned in the video I also loath it. I think their point of having no context is really good. The idea if you found one on the beach you wouldn’t know if it was placed there or washed up. There is a certain anonymous beauty to them though.

I always liked Brian Jungen’s sculptures made out of them:

Nice to bring this thread back!

I see this house from a spot my brother and I hike on the river just south of Portland… I always wondered about it and YouTube served me a video all about it and it’s architect/occupant:

Not sure if you will find it inspirational, but I was on Neil deGrasse Tyson’s StarTalk this week to talk about a product I worked on for people with diabetes, The Foot Defender:

2 Likes

Will civilization collapse? | wired magazine’s Kevin Kelly on ‘Protopia”. I highly recommend giving this a watch!

1 Like

The end with the British kids in 1950 talking about the year 2000 was something.

I enjoyed this Ross Lovegrove interview:

1 Like

I took a tour of this building a few years back and it didn’t disappoint!

1 Like

turn by turn directions with a HUD, EVs that you plug into the wall, cruise control that maintains distances between cars… this video from 1969 got a lot right, with the exception of the steam powered car maybe :slight_smile:

I love that the HVAC system integrated scents!