GURU
step four
step four
cg wrote:Absolutely not, and I would never agree to meet with someone who just showed up. In fact, they'd be on my shitlist for trying it.
Ditto.

With the little time I have between designing, researching, e-mails, meetings ( and Core77 :oops: ) there would be no time for an unscheduled meeting anyways. It's very unprofessional and I would place then on my 'shitlist' between the neighbor who's dog shits on my lawn and people who don't take a right turn on a red light.

GURU
Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization
iab wrote:
Greenman wrote:
Online folios are great, and they're also way easy to ignore, what if someone sent you an iPad with their portfolio on it with a note that said, check out my portfolio, enjoy the iPad, would you be annoyed then?
If someone wrote, "enjoy the ipad" I would take it as to keep the ipad for myself.
That's the point, it's a gift for taking the time to look at my stuff.
iab wrote:I would then question why someone giving away an ipad needs a job and how many ipads total have they given away.
Not everyone out there is looking for a job because they need one, some people want to move to something bigger, better, or more fulfilling. Firing off a URL doesn't speak to that goal imo. Obviously this isn't a tactic for a fresh grad.
All dots connect, even the tiny blue one
iab
full self-realization
full self-realization
Excellent point.
yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
joyride wrote:I actually went to a firm in Chicago to drop off my resume. I had a pack with samples, resume, cover letter, ect. My plan was to just give it to the front desk, and that was it. Turns out the girl at the front desk was off that day, and the owner saw me and I was able to hand my work right to him. He spent a good hour chatting with me, and even talked over my senior project with me. I was cognizant to not bring up a job though, as i really didnt want to be pushy. It was nice to talk design, and even got some great insights. I saw the guy about a year later randomly and it was nice to be able to spark up a conversation based on our previous meet. You always have to network...
Well played sir.
grigorio
step one
step one
Coroflot: 139853
So I guess the days of wearing your finest suit, polishing your shoes and briefcase, and pounding the pavement with a stack of resumes seems to be long dead... As well as those stories of "I showed up every day at 9am for months until finally they had to give me a job!"

This thread is an interesting read, because I think that dropping in on someone is still perceived as being ambitious and motivated in society. I wonder if this has changed, or it's just frowned upon in the design community.
Thesis blog: http://www.intellectivedesign.com

-Michael Grigoriev
JLdesign
step three
step three
grigorio wrote:So I guess the days of wearing your finest suit, polishing your shoes and briefcase, and pounding the pavement with a stack of resumes seems to be long dead... As well as those stories of "I showed up every day at 9am for months until finally they had to give me a job!"

This thread is an interesting read, because I think that dropping in on someone is still perceived as being ambitious and motivated in society. I wonder if this has changed, or it's just frowned upon in the design community.
I think you can attribute part of that to how much people are inundated by communications these days. Emails, crackberrys, voice mails, etc. Too much of our time goes to answering correspondence now. When a hiring manager or design manager opens their inbox to 100 or more emails the minute they turn their computer on, one more interruption is the last thing they need, especially if it's unscheduled. My proximity to the door and a lack of an afternoon receptionist at my last job made me the guy answering the doorbell often. If a salesperson came by, even one that already work with frequently, 90% of the supervisors or dept heads would have me tell them they're busy and to make an appointment. Back in the day when the sit at the door step or send a letter a day strategy worked opening letters in the middle of the afternoon and answering the phone were the ONLY distractions.
yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
I'm sure some people miss ridding horses everyday. It's a different world, not worse, just different. Advertising for jobs used to be local (news paper) or specialty (id magazine). Now it's global. Lots more opportunity, and lots more competition. All good
scrotum
full self-realization
full self-realization
We don't take any walk-ins at our place, this is exactly the reason why you have to have a key to press our floor in the elevator.