Design Crimes the TV show.

Sounds like a pretty fun concept and one that’s ripe for the picking.

I thought TLC only had shows with pregnant women now? hehe

Yo: Good luck man!

I think this might be too specific and dry for television audience. Opposite of which which explains plethora of sex, personal conflict, cops and law shows.

Analogy to other office professionals: accountant showing bad books and then redoing to save X tax, IT guy showing server room nightmare then redoing, etc. Or perhaps here even: how many designers vs. non-designers sign up and how many stick around or contribute?

Perhaps if there were a team with greatly varying opinion, different redesigns and methods, to develop lively discussion and surprises.

Just the dryness of guy in office doing office work seems limited. Perhaps field scenarios, factories, manufacturing, etc. I know straying a bit from your seeming intent; but I just don’t see more than 5 minutes interest of guy in office doing whatever.

Apologies for shooting down your trailer, I realize it’s not a finished, complete done deal. It would be excellent if you succeed; certainly it’s more deserving than yet another “so you wanna be a celebrity singer dancer cop law chef doctor action thriller erotic romance animated comedy dating” show. Maybe there’s room in a 1,000+ channel world?

there might be a need for a good cop - bad cop situation… Maybe a company representative there with you when you’re criticizing their product, defending what they had created. Might make for good drama

Thanks for the feedback, but I trust the professionals I’m working with here. The show is being produced by an experienced team that has written and filmed shows for Nova, they also do Tech TV, Build it Bigger, Extreme Engineering, Invent This, as well as a bunch of Discovery Channel specials, and more importantly, I just feel good abut working with them and I trust them with this.

I’m working with them the way I would want a client to work with me.

Hey, I demand royalties for that alarm clock design! :wink:

Seriously though, good luck! And be sure to lawyer-up in case any of the “accused” wants to come at you for defamation!

Yeah, I was going to ask whether you guys had considered being sued for defamation of “potential loss in expected revenue” or some other legal jargon.

I’m sure you will, people sue for anything these days, but they probably won’t have credibility in court.

I really like the premise of the show, I agree that there’s lot of bad design out there and I think exposing it and criticizing it will help ultimately help to elevate the design field. I think that the average joe would like this, I mean they interact with these products EVERYDAY. Who would have thought that the home decorating programs would have been so successful? What percentage of their viewership are actually interior designers or architect, and what percentage actually redecorate after watching… not too high I’d think. But the tune in the next week.

One thing they say about slander & libel is that there’s no court case if the things you say are true…

Actually the earlier Jeremy Clarkson/Top Gear comparison would work quite well. They do basically the same thing with cars except they just rip on them, never saying here’s what you could do to improve it.

That’s awesome that you’re connected to Nova/Extreme Engineering, etc. I hope you guys get the green light.

Yeah, but a “design crime” is pretty subjective.

If a network is involved, I’m sure they’ll handle this stuff. The late night talk shows deal with slander all the time.

I’m sure you already know about the new Sharpie pen but if not, it’s great. No smudging or bleed. :mrgreen:

Any Converse or Nike products going to be on the show? :wink:

… probably not… :wink:

update: we are casting a modelmaker to be my partner in crime… so if you know anyone in the Boston area! Pass there name to me and I’ll get them on the list. We are going to start interviewing potential peeps soon.

Too much fun Mike … . I truly hate your guts. :wink:

When do we get the T-shirt?

Now all that needs to happen is to get the dolts that produce How It’s Made to hand it over to someone that actually knows how it’s made.

edit - Wifie thinks you should call it the Crappy Shit Show… . gotta love 'er.

AWESOME! I hope you break a leg, man!

Is there a chance that this show will be aired on non-US channles like BBC or satellite channels? This is something that I’d really like to see.

I’m not sure, it depends on what US network bites (if any) and what the distro deal is… The network that is most interested right now would be very awesome.

FYI, just came across this contest for “Bad design” in India:

http://usabilitymatters.org/Boycott_Bad_Design_2008.php

Yo, when will we be able to see the show?

Still working… moving along, we want to do this thing right.