May 12th, 2009, 6:24 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242

May 23rd, 2009, 8:33 pm

jbunko
Interview with IDEO's Paul Bennet on design thinking, iceland and the economy. Check it out - http://metacool.typepad.com/metacool/20 ... entry.html

May 25th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Lmo
Old saying: "Where ever you go, there you are."

There are basic human characteristics/traits that will not change; if historical observation can be believed. Originally termed the
Seven Deadly Sins, they are: lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy and pride.

Take a minute and think about them outside of the traditional context of the Judeo-Christian "church"; think of them in terms of contemporary life.
For example:

lust - not as much sexual but as the desire for more than we need to live comfortably.

gluttony - not only the "developed" world eating to excess, but the materialism that seems to drive modern society (new cars, so many different cars, sunglasses, handbags, "designer" clothing, shoes, etc.).

sloth - not so much laziness, but the failure to utilize one's talents and gifts; and what the are used for.

Not mentioned in the "Seasteading" article, but very much akin to it, were the many attempts over the years to build Utopian Societies that were to provide ideal circumstances for their inhabitants. None proved viable in the long term. I don't think "design" will solve any of these things; there will always be those who disagree with what "you", "we", "me", "I" think is the ideal.

I grew up near the site of one, New Harmony, Indiana.

Excerpt from Periodical Letter II 1856;

"The experiment was established in 1825 and dissolved in 1829 due to constant quarrels. The town banned money and other commodities. Individualist anarchist Josiah Warren, who was one of the original participants in the New Harmony Society, asserted that the community was doomed to failure due to a lack of individual sovereignty and private property. He wrote of the community: "It seemed that the difference of opinion, tastes and purposes increased just in proportion to the demand for conformity. Two years were worn out in this way; at the end of which, I believe that not more than three persons had the least hope of success. Most of the experimenters left in despair of all reforms, and conservatism felt itself confirmed. We had tried every conceivable form of organization and government. We had a world in miniature. -- we had enacted the French revolution over again with despairing hearts instead of corpses as a result. ... It appeared that it was nature's own inherent law of diversity that had conquered us ... our 'united interests' were directly at war with the individualities of persons and circumstances and the instinct of self-preservation ... and it was evident that just in proportion to the contact of persons or interests, so are concessions and compromises indispensable." )."
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

May 26th, 2009, 4:51 pm

jbunko
Lmo//
There's a large gap between designers collaborating in economic/public sector/political projects and designers taking over the world.

One of the main points of designers being involved in such issues is to encourage collaboration with expertise from all fields, so it isn't just economists making decisions on economics, and politicians making decisioning on politics.

I should have made this clearer from the beginning, I use the term 'designer' in the loosest sense. There is no reason that somebody has to actually be a designer in order to think like a designer.

I'm really not a fan of the term 'Design Thinker'. It is a thought process that relies on common sense, and is quite obvious, you'd think it would be simple to grasp, yet it turns out not everyone can innovate and there's a whole business in 'Design Thinking', so I'll stick with it. I think using the word 'design' makes it all quite misleading, simply due to the fact that it's a thought process that isn't just exclusive to designers. Which opens lots of questions, Is he a design thinker? Who isn't a design thinker? Is this design thinking?................................

I'm a bit lost as to where this conversation is going, though it brings me back to my original point. This conversation was never actually that designers would be literally designing the world, it's about collaboration from all fields, an organized chaos, much like the definition of design thinking.

May 26th, 2009, 5:07 pm

TaylorWelden
Coroflot: 7
an organized chaos
aka Organically
Taylor Welden

Industrial Designer

Industrial Design Portfolio

May 26th, 2009, 5:14 pm

jbunko
aka Organically
I agree - though I still do not understand your views on individuals changing the world. It is though your attitude is, 'there's no point, one of the other six and a half billion will do it'.

June 2nd, 2009, 4:09 pm

nunoCR
step two
step two
designing the future free book
http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/A-D ... -small.pdf
if you really want to get rid of all societys problems, you have to adress them by their root causes.

June 2nd, 2009, 4:38 pm

TaylorWelden
Coroflot: 7
I agree - though I still do not understand your views on individuals changing the world. It is though your attitude is, 'there's no point, one of the other six and a half billion will do it'.
Not the case.

I push for change everyday.

I go to restaurants where I enjoy their food. I purchase products from companies I want to support. I talk about my opinions with people. This is organic change. Each example is a Vote. You can't change people. Only they can change themselves.

There will never be a revolution until enough people don't have food, water or shelter.

Whenever someone picks up a loudspeaker and wants to start saying "it should be this way" ... run for cover.

There are some that can do this, but 99.9999999999% of humans should not try.

What I'm saying is, make change organically. Through experiences and person to person. People want to connect with people, not the government or paperwork.

It's a bit abstract, so I'm keeping it short.
Taylor Welden

Industrial Designer

Industrial Design Portfolio