6ix
full self-realization
full self-realization
Ah. Just got back from test-paddling one of the kayaks I slaved over last fall. It's just sooooo neat to see the fruits of all that labor. Even better to see that the final result was very close to the original sketches and renderings. Better yet, it looks even better in real life!

http://paddlesportsportal.com/daggernew ... hemy-140s/

Cool. Thought I'd share.

So what's the neatest product you've seen on store shelves? Before this boat, mine was a $3 ice-scraper. ha ha

February 27th, 2009, 4:19 pm

engelhjs
step four
step four
First project on my first co-op:

Sadly, the co-op ended before it was finalized. It didn't turn out exactly as I designed, but my work is definitely there.
Jeff Engelhardt
Industrial Designer - Footwear & Softgoods
Giro Sport Design
Santa Cruz, CA
http://www.jeff-engelhardt.com

February 27th, 2009, 4:38 pm

molested_cow
full self-realization
full self-realization
My first product at my current job is already copied by another brand before it's even on the shelf. The reason why I am sure it's not original is because the other half of the product looks just like another competitor's design. Damn Chinese factories.
It's not the cows' fault, stop molesting them!!!

February 27th, 2009, 5:03 pm

cdaisy
step four
step four
I love seeing my stuff on the shelves. I have possibly the coolest thing I ever designed all prototyped up. I wish I could post it but then I'd have to kill all of you. If all goes well at the Gamestop and Toys R Us meetings you'll see it before Christmas!
:P

February 27th, 2009, 6:02 pm

zippyflounder
full self-realization
full self-realization
2 bigger thrills, seeing your product being used by sombody you dont know whom you know bought it retail. A even bigger thrill, that first royalty check.

February 27th, 2009, 7:35 pm

Kung Fu Jesus
full self-realization
full self-realization
i've been in furniture most of my career.

it's still really freakin' cool to see something i designed turn up as part of a photoshoot, hip environment shot, or just seeing it in someone's home. i never point out i designed something to a consumer, i just enjoy the inner glow privately.

other than that, the first mass-produced collection i designed at a firm saved a manufacturing company from going under. it was a small american company, and i wasn't crazy about the design, but i felt proud to be able to help out the family and workers of that company and had a hand in keeping them employed.

i'm always shocked at the PLC of some of my stuff (longevity).
"Furniture that is too obviously designed is very interesting, but too often belongs only in museums." - MBJ

February 27th, 2009, 8:08 pm

zippyflounder
full self-realization
full self-realization
Kung Fu Jesus wrote:i've been in furniture most of my career.

it's still really freakin' cool to see something i designed turn up as part of a photoshoot, hip environment shot, or just seeing it in someone's home. i never point out i designed something to a consumer, i just enjoy the inner glow privately.

other than that, the first mass-produced collection i designed at a firm saved a manufacturing company from going under. it was a small american company, and i wasn't crazy about the design, but i felt proud to be able to help out the family and workers of that company and had a hand in keeping them employed.

I know what you mean. I was sitting at a out door cafe by a bike/pedestrian path and I was shocked and very happy to see a woman towing her kiddlet in a alfa trailer I designed (over at my blog zippyflounder.com). This was really amazing because it had been out of production for 12 years and still looked great. I got up and sprinted (as much as my 50+year old frame would allow) and caught up to her. I asked where she got it, she said "oh my dad gave it to me, he used to tow me around in it when i was a kid". I thanked her and walked back, had a real inner glow, put my cynical side at bay for a whole day.

February 28th, 2009, 6:58 am

product tank
step four
step four
I designed some kitchen utensils 4-5 years ago and 6 months after the launch I was shown the sales figures - every 45 seconds someone in the UK was buying the potato peeler I designed. That felt good. It was a bit bitter sweet though, because other products in the range were not selling nearly as well.

February 28th, 2009, 12:53 pm

cdaisy
step four
step four
zippyflounder wrote:
Kung Fu Jesus wrote:i've been in furniture most of my career.

I know what you mean. I was sitting at a out door cafe by a bike/pedestrian path and I was shocked and very happy to see a woman towing her kiddlet in a alfa trailer I designed (over at my blog zippyflounder.com). This was really amazing because it had been out of production for 12 years and still looked great. I got up and sprinted (as much as my 50+year old frame would allow) and caught up to her. I asked where she got it, she said "oh my dad gave it to me, he used to tow me around in it when i was a kid". I thanked her and walked back, had a real inner glow, put my cynical side at bay for a whole day.
My floorlamp was recently used in a Jonas Brothers pop tart commercial as part of their bedroom decor. (made me feel like a 14 year old girl)

https://www.target.com/Vivid-Floor-Lamp ... B00126MW7A

February 28th, 2009, 2:21 pm

Mr-914
cdaisy: I dig that floor lamp!
yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
6ix wrote:Ah. Just got back from test-paddling one of the kayaks I slaved over last fall. It's just sooooo neat to see the fruits of all that labor. Even better to see that the final result was very close to the original sketches and renderings. Better yet, it looks even better in real life!

http://paddlesportsportal.com/daggernew ... hemy-140s/

Cool. Thought I'd share.

So what's the neatest product you've seen on store shelves? Before this boat, mine was a $3 ice-scraper. ha ha
Congrats man. It is a great feeling, and you never get over it. The first time I saw one of my designs in the field, I was just bringing my car in to get an oil change, and the mechanic was wearing a watch I worked on. It was pretty cool.
phoenixproto
step two
step two
6ix wrote:Ah. Just got back from test-paddling one of the kayaks I slaved over last fall. It's just sooooo neat to see the fruits of all that labor. Even better to see that the final result was very close to the original sketches and renderings. Better yet, it looks even better in real life!
Good for you!!! I don't know much about Kayak's, I've always wanted to try one however. Your design is a pretty snazzy looking one. I like the sharp lines, it looks fast. On second thought... maybe not the one for me... my doggie paddle resembles a drowning victim! :oops:

I can understand your satisfaction. I might not slave over a design, but creating a product as true to form does have a fire drill or 2 to keep a person on their toes! Often what is brilliant in concept needs a bit of tweaking to make the leap into reality :wink:

It's really, really, really neat to see something you had a hand in creating out there!!!! Makes my day & brings on the perma grin!!!! :D
Pro-active design support | Tight tolerances | Complex designs | Highly aesthetic surfaces - 3 weeks or less.

Rapid injection molded plastic prototypes from Aluminum tooling
phoenixproto
step two
step two
yo wrote: Congrats man. It is a great feeling, and you never get over it. The first time I saw one of my designs in the field, I was just bringing my car in to get an oil change, and the mechanic was wearing a watch I worked on. It was pretty cool.

Have to ask -> Is this now your fav mechanic because he/she has great taste? :wink:
Pro-active design support | Tight tolerances | Complex designs | Highly aesthetic surfaces - 3 weeks or less.

Rapid injection molded plastic prototypes from Aluminum tooling

March 1st, 2009, 12:01 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
LOL, I don't live there anymore.

March 1st, 2009, 12:11 pm

cdaisy
step four
step four
Mr-914 wrote:cdaisy: I dig that floor lamp!
Thanks! I did an oval version in green too. They have a 3-way switch like the mid century modern lamps.

http://www.onlinexpressions.com/lumisou ... -lamp.html