vanity and design

so i’ve noticed myself becoming unhealthily more vain and it’s because i’ve started paying much more attention to design.

does anyone else have this problem and if so how did/have you balanced it out.

“Your injury is one of ignorance and pride”
Talledega Nights

or

Every designer must realize that they are not a special kind of person,but that every person is special kind of artist.
George Nelson

Vanity - (from Webster’s)

1. The quality or state of being vain; want of substance to satisfy desire; emptiness; unsubstantialness; unrealness; falsity.

2. An inflation of mind upon slight grounds; empty pride inspired by an overweening conceit of one’s personal attainments or decorations; an excessive desire for notice or approval; pride; ostentation; conceit.

Are you a more discerning buyer because you have an eye for design, or do you think you’re better than others because their design sense doesn’t meet your standards?

Just because something is expensive or more eye-catching doesn’t mean it’s a better design. Surface treatments don’t determine the quality of the product, just like surface treatments on people.

Here’s one idea to counteract vanity. Every time you buy something based on it’s design, buy one more and donate it.

Here’s another word:

Tchotchke - a cheap showy trinket. Don’t be one.

I know what you mean. I think I have become a lot more judgmental, internally anyway. Probably more vain too…

It will pass in time.

The 2 might have coincided but are you sure that one is the cause of the other?

Lots of vain people are not sensitive to design. A lot of people who are sensitive to design are not vain… not me, but I’m saying, others…

Do you mean you think your opinions are more valid than everyone elses?
Do you think things would be better if you made all the decisions?
Do you always pick your designs?
Do you think your designs are the best?

All of the above?
What are we talking about here?