LabRats
step three
step three
Readers Digest has an article on James Dyson

http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspirin ... 14711.html

i did a search to see if anyone has posted this already but couldn't find anything.
"I must keep the windows open wide enough to let fresh air in but never wide enough for me to jump out." - Attaboy

Woot!

January 29th, 2009, 5:11 pm

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization
They work nice, but they are not lookers.
summerdan wrote:At the famous designer's design, and see more of open the book thinking, read some books are always didn't harm
Come on I believe that you can

January 29th, 2009, 7:19 pm

bennybtl
step four
step four
simon_four_fingers wrote:They work nice, but they are not lookers.
not in the traditional sense, but given that at the time they were released, if all the other vacuum cleaners were super models, the dyson was the android cyborg from outer space.

Sometimes to prove to that you are radically different on the inside, it helps to be radically different on the outside. I give them credit for creating a revolutionary and unique aesthetic that was instantly recognizable (and for having the guts to not water it down) which has since been copied by all the other guys)

(i haven't read the article, yet, but I will :wink: )

January 29th, 2009, 8:05 pm

cg
full self-realization
full self-realization
FYI, James Dyson is the worlds wealthiest Industrial Designer. Nice job.

January 29th, 2009, 11:24 pm

bennybtl
step four
step four
i guess to get through 5,127 prototypes, you'd need to be wealthy...

January 29th, 2009, 11:41 pm

drew2002
step one
step one
bennybtl wrote:i guess to get through 5,127 prototypes, you'd need to be wealthy...
Depends on the fidelity of the prototype. This prototype of a surgical instrument from IDEO couldn't have cost very much:

prototype on left:

Granted, vacuum cleaner prototypes are probably more expensive....

January 30th, 2009, 12:14 am

zippyflounder
full self-realization
full self-realization
cg wrote:FYI, James Dyson is the worlds wealthiest Industrial Designer. Nice job.
because he INVENTED and PRODUCED a PRODUCT.

January 30th, 2009, 1:59 am

Cameron
full self-realization
full self-realization
zippyflounder wrote:
cg wrote:FYI, James Dyson is the worlds wealthiest Industrial Designer. Nice job.
Yeah, that's quite an accomplishment. It's all about that IDEA x EXECUTION multiplier.
Cameron Nielsen
Ooblec Design Studio | LinkedIn | Personal Site
'There is an inherent intelligence to beauty' - Dori Tunstall

January 30th, 2009, 9:03 am

LabRats
step three
step three
zippyflounder wrote:
Thanks, caps lock make things more understandable.
"I must keep the windows open wide enough to let fresh air in but never wide enough for me to jump out." - Attaboy

Woot!

January 30th, 2009, 12:38 pm

product tank
step four
step four
He didn't invent the vacuum cleaner, nor the suction technology that was a dust extractor he saw on top of a saw mill on his way to work (as documented on his website). What he cleverly did was adapt this technology to fit into the household cleaner.

In my opinion he is not the worlds wealthiest designer (is that Stark?), he's an inventor (as described on his website) and I also think a lot of his stuff whilst recognizable is uuuuugggglllllyyyy.

I have respect for him, because he stuck at his dream, but recently that respect has dropped. When he released this advert in the UK.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqn0rMFpWPc

4 fixed wheels won't go around corners (well yeah) but no other competitor product has 4 fixed wheels, they all pivot and have done so for years. Its badly misleading and surprising from someone who prides themselves on engineering. The ball cleaner is difficult to use for people with limited wrist strength because of the amount of twisting. Also how many items of furniture in the home are curved to roll around as advertised? Gimmick?

January 30th, 2009, 12:39 pm

product tank
step four
step four
Last edited by product tank on January 30th, 2009, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 30th, 2009, 2:00 pm

Alerick
step three
step three
[quote="product tank"]In my opinion he is not the worlds wealthiest designer (is that Stark?), he's an inventor (as he describes himself on his website).

quote]

I will have to disagree with you. Even though he says he is an inventor, it doesn't mean he is not a designer. He uses information from the market and generates concepts. He wanted to created a bagless vacuum that was powerful enough to use because that what people wanted to see. Also, using a ball vacuum is much different in the pivoting movement than any other style. He did not invent the wheel he just became innovative with it.

to me that sounds a lot like Industrial Design.

Dyson

February 4th, 2009, 12:39 pm

aaron
Unfortunately the Dysons I have used do not vacuum very well.

February 4th, 2009, 4:39 pm

no_spec
full self-realization
full self-realization
It's hard to knock his success.
It helps that his trust fund paid for the engineering team and fifeteen years of development. And no, according to Consumer Reports they don't suck as well as Hoover/Dirt Devil.
Marketing genius: launching a radically different vacuum, costing ($500US) twice as much as the nearest competitor and capturing half the market!

no spec

February 4th, 2009, 4:42 pm

aaron
I think that is very well put.