soooooooooo lets talk about retraining

December 17th, 2008, 2:22 pm

zippyflounder
full self-realization
full self-realization
Posts: 1703
Joined: July 1st, 2007, 11:27 am
The econ is in the dumperster, time is not a wasting, so if you had to retrain, what fields what you look at.

December 17th, 2008, 2:50 pm

User avatar
PackageID
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2482
Joined: February 19th, 2006, 6:17 pm
Coroflot: 25698
Location: New Jersey
Culinary Arts. I always worked in restaurants as a kid, I love to cook, and ironically I work for one of the largest candy companies in the world, Mars. Some how my life has always involved food. Not to mention that there is no better feeling than a few chefs in a kitchen that working well together. It's like a well oiled machine.
-Justin Coble-

"Never let the same dog bite you twice" -Chuck Berry-

December 17th, 2008, 3:38 pm

User avatar
Mr-914
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5831
Joined: January 12th, 2004, 7:44 am
Location: Montréal, QC
Psychotherapy.

December 17th, 2008, 3:39 pm

aaron
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 291
Joined: February 8th, 2006, 7:16 pm
Location: Watertown, CT
electrician or plumber

December 17th, 2008, 3:47 pm

User avatar
one-word-plastics
step four
step four
Posts: 488
Joined: November 23rd, 2004, 11:13 pm
Location: Seat 44A - DL#27
Butcher. I like touching raw meat.
"Life is pretty simple: you do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.”
—Leonardo da Vinci

December 17th, 2008, 3:49 pm

User avatar
Otto100
Posts: 8
Joined: December 13th, 2008, 2:32 pm
plumber or carpenter

edit: ... or lego engineer
Last edited by Otto100 on December 17th, 2008, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 17th, 2008, 3:49 pm

User avatar
c2c
step three
step three
Posts: 108
Joined: January 15th, 2008, 1:30 am
Location: Chicago
Student...
Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness is largely matter of conscious choice.
http://www.coroflot.com/c2c

December 17th, 2008, 3:58 pm

User avatar
josheyre
step four
step four
Posts: 257
Joined: June 17th, 2005, 6:29 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
I'm with c2c... Always ready to go back to school and just learn.

December 17th, 2008, 4:40 pm

zippyflounder
full self-realization
full self-realization
Posts: 1703
Joined: July 1st, 2007, 11:27 am
c2c wrote:Student...
indepently wealthy? how about if your over 50....?

December 17th, 2008, 4:50 pm

User avatar
josheyre
step four
step four
Posts: 257
Joined: June 17th, 2005, 6:29 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
zippyflounder wrote:
c2c wrote:Student...
indepently wealthy? how about if your over 50....?
What kind of retraining these days isn't going to cost something considerable in terms of time or money?

December 17th, 2008, 4:55 pm

User avatar
c2c
step three
step three
Posts: 108
Joined: January 15th, 2008, 1:30 am
Location: Chicago
zippy-
I think with the new administration there will be $$ available for students. Just a thought...
Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness is largely matter of conscious choice.
http://www.coroflot.com/c2c

December 17th, 2008, 6:04 pm

User avatar
cdaisy
step four
step four
Posts: 352
Joined: June 18th, 2008, 1:52 pm
Location: Chicago
Rockstar. I can shred like no other.

December 17th, 2008, 6:05 pm

zippyflounder
full self-realization
full self-realization
Posts: 1703
Joined: July 1st, 2007, 11:27 am
c2c wrote:zippy-
I think with the new administration there will be $$ available for students. Just a thought...
doubtful, but then again they can print the stuff till hell frezes over.

December 17th, 2008, 6:52 pm

User avatar
Scott Bennett
full self-realization
full self-realization
Posts: 826
Joined: March 3rd, 2005, 5:39 pm
Location: Denver
PackageID wrote:Culinary Arts. I always worked in restaurants as a kid, I love to cook, and ironically I work for one of the largest candy companies in the world, Mars. Some how my life has always involved food. Not to mention that there is no better feeling than a few chefs in a kitchen that working well together. It's like a well oiled machine.
I concur. The feeling on a line when you're knee deep in the weeds and knocking out plates is unbeatable. Plus cooking, especially in a high end place, uses a lot of design elements- you have to think about how different things go together, presentation, etc. And as a pastry chef you can really get creative with structure and 3D elements.

The bad news is, restaurants are getting hammered right now. Eating out is the first thing people cut back on, because it's the easiest. A culinary arts education is also very expensive relative to the pay you're likely to get.

December 17th, 2008, 6:56 pm

zippyflounder
full self-realization
full self-realization
Posts: 1703
Joined: July 1st, 2007, 11:27 am
Scott Bennett wrote:
PackageID wrote:Culinary Arts. I always worked in restaurants as a kid, I love to cook, and ironically I work for one of the largest candy companies in the world, Mars. Some how my life has always involved food. Not to mention that there is no better feeling than a few chefs in a kitchen that working well together. It's like a well oiled machine.
I concur. The feeling on a line when you're knee deep in the weeds and knocking out plates is unbeatable. Plus cooking, especially in a high end place, uses a lot of design elements- you have to think about how different things go together, presentation, etc. And as a pastry chef you can really get creative with structure and 3D elements.

The bad news is, restaurants are getting hammered right now. Eating out is the first thing people cut back on, because it's the easiest. A culinary arts education is also very expensive relative to the pay you're likely to get.
Yes and is a young "mans" game...saw a piece on anthony bordains doing his old double at his last restruanut...damn near killed him.
I am tired of building protypes, seem to be a big jaded even on the design end (and over 50 in design is sorta over the hill) so I am thinking hard about "what next".
Reply