Conferences and Shows worth attending??

I’ve been asked by my company to start looking into attending any trade shows, conferences, exhibitions, etc. that would demonstrate emerging trends in their respective fields. Obviously there are a ton, but I was just curious if anyone might suggest their favorite or those they felt they got the most out of.

Bread and Butter Berlin.
http://www.breadandbutter.com

If you can convince them to pay for it, Pop!Tech is kind of amazing (www.poptech.com). Very polyglot in nature, but brings in some of the smartest folks in their respective fields to talk about what’s happening next.

Depending on your field of interest, the ICFF might have a few good things to show (www.icff.com)

ICFF would be fantastic! Unfortunately, it’s only open to the trade…any suggestions??

If you are a designer of any sort, that qualifies as Industry. They’re extremely flexible that way.

I had an invite to TEDGlobal…but couldn’t make it…sigh.

www.ted.com

Wow, would love to go to TED. Been watching latetly videos/audio of past speakers. Everything from 2005 is online. Great, inspiriing talks on a variety of subjects.

What industry are you in?

Each industry tends to have a wide variety of different shows (ie. fashion, footwear, furniture, consumer products, display/exhibition, etc.).

I also enjoy going to International Autoshows, and Ive heard that DMI (Design Management Institute) also has some great (but $$$) conferences.

Also check your local design museum/gallery. Lots of those places (ie. Cooper-Hewitt, Design Council UK, Design Museum CPH, Design Exchange Toronto), have special events and presentations.

Not too mention lots of supplier based fairs (ie. Lineapelle Italy, APLF and Designsource HK, etc.)

It all depends what you are looking for!

R

Wow, would love to go to TED. Been watching latetly videos/audio of past speakers. Everything from 2005 is online. Great, inspiriing talks on a variety of subjects.

Ya, I am really bummed I can’t make it. However, this is TEDGlobal in Tanzania, not TED that is in Monteray that gets the majority of the press and attention.

Ever since travelling to Tanzania back in '01, the continent has infected me. I have spoken to several others that feel the same as me. That once you have been to Africa, it changes you on many levels. The sites, the smells, the people, its very infectious. The opportunity to go there for a TED conference is bordering on something I would sell my kids for, but my wife trumped me on that one. A year from now I probably could have made it…sigh.

Edward Tufte is back on his road show starting next Monday.
You get all four of his books with the $360 registration. Highly recommended if you haven’t been to one.

https://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/courses