December 8th, 2006, 9:10 am

step four
step four
The Definition of Industrial Design?
It's right there in the title .............and on core site!
By Gadi Amit

http://www.core77.com/reactor/08.06_amit.asp

But you have to love the link title under 'recent Articles'.....Indudstrial Design?

Recent Articles :
1000 Words for Design Teachers
The Solar Shuttle
Cultural Innovation
Classroom Case Study
What is Indudstrial Design?
Last Man Standing
Design and Poker 4
Corporate Social Responsibility
NY Design Week Gallery

February 29th, 2008, 1:52 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
any new or revised one sentence definitions?

March 14th, 2008, 2:01 am

SNIPER
step three
step three
yo wrote:any new or revised one sentence definitions?
how bout product architect? i hope i dont step on any ones feet :wink:

thats what i usually say if people ask.

March 14th, 2008, 6:29 am

holtag
step four
step four
hmmm, at times i wonder if design isn't just a kind of life sentence.

yeah, i know, lame! but i couldn't resist...

January 7th, 2009, 5:52 am

wallflower
step four
step four
Sorry - I know this is an old post but I couldnt resist adding my take on how i sometimes feel with a one liner . . .

Being an industrial designer equates to being a creativity whore!

January 7th, 2009, 8:58 am

yo
Administration
Administration
only when you put yourself out on the corner.

I was speaking with a colleague yesterday on the phone who frequently posts on these boards about some of the founders of the field; Dreyfus, Loewy, Teague, the Eams. They approached it much more as a professional service, akin to a lawyer or an architect. As experts in their field they founded professional organizations like the IDSA, wrote extensively on the field ("Design this Day" by Teague), published technical tombs like ("Measure of Man" by Dreyfus), and presented themselves in the public sphere as competent professional experts in creativity.

The "face men" of our field today are not like these noble founders. Just take a look at any of Stark's recent commentaries. Not only are they missed opportunities to explain design, he is actually taking us backwards with some of his statements.

Today I look to Richard Powell and Philip Seymour as the examples to follow.

Design is everything.
Design coterie
step three
step three
I think everyone gets this question and my response is a question and an answer

"What's your favorite product?"
"An industrial designer is the reason it's your favorite."
rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
Is it that hard to really explain that Industrial Designers design products? I think that nowadays most people are familiar with design having it been so publicly exposed over the last 10 years at least (Time magazine has a whole issue devoted to, even non-designers might be familiar with Karim, Dyson, etc.)...

All this talk of engineering + art, systems, user centered blah blah blah is just confusing and beside the point. I don't think if you asked fashion designers what they did they would explain that they "combine the engineering of fit with stylistic trends and modes of self expression to create wearable garments...". They would say they design clothing.

I just simply explain that artichects design buildings, Industrial Designers design everything else (products, that is). Pretty self-explanatory.

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

Re: simple answer

October 18th, 2009, 8:48 pm

Cashmere
Diedler wrote:How about ID is visual problem solving.
I agree with this.
concretebox wrote:Design is making the future.

sounds cool. if you are emo and full of yourself, and a large load of .***.
:lol:
Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization
rkuchinsky wrote:Is it that hard to really explain that Industrial Designers design products? ....

I just simply explain that artichects design buildings, Industrial Designers design everything else (products, that is). Pretty self-explanatory.
I'm not big on the fancy descriptions either, but I do think designers work as creative problem solvers on a lot more products than people think.. if they even think about where their products come from at all.

Gui, experience design, strategy, human factors, conceptual, crew area design, etc are all design niche that people might overlook, even in the industry
daaphearthrob
step three
step three
I love this thread... I remember having this problem when I first started at design school. At every family get together I would inevitably have some relative say to me "so you're going to be an industrial designer... that means you'd design factories right?"

Because of that for a while I referred to myself as a "product designer"... I designed products, duh.

When I graduated from college and got a job at a big old "strategy" firm, I moved to just being a designer, because I could design anything you know... (God, the arrogance).

Now I'm back to calling myself an industrial designer.

I like it because not everyone knows what I do and they have to ask me. I like being called an industrial designer, because I'm a maker of things and the word "industrial" is a reference to that. When I would call myself a product designer it was almost as though I was glossing over that "making" part. On top of all of that Industrial Design has so much history in those two little words. When I say them together I think about all the old guys, my design heroes... the people I hope I can become a fraction of. To me industrial design is about looking forward and back at the same time.

I love this thread because of the constraint of defining this job/passion/life with just one sentence, because, after all constraints are what make great design. So my one sentence might go something like this:

I'm an industrial designer, I get to create objects you use everyday, some glamorous and some forgotten.
Ross Jovi
how about... An Industrial designer created the Coffee cup, Im just trying to one up him.
phillydun
step two
step two
This thread sums up the main problem design suffers from - there is no clear definition, no clear agreement on what we do. It is of course idealistic most of the time; people don't really write manifestos anymore but I'd say we all do in our heads. Manifestos are fatalistic; they constrain creativity. Designers should not be tribal leaders. Doctors have a clear defined set of rules that regulate what they do. They know their role in society and they go about doing it. Designers tend to be individuals with individual goals and individual limitations; this is vital to the creative process but it wouldn't hurt to have a clearly defined moralistic and democratic set of professional rules for an overall social progress for designers to contend with. It would help businesses, marketers and clients to understand what we do, to understand where we are coming from and to understand how important design thinking can be. Democratization of design is an anti slogan. Surely a well grouped and agreed set of rules for designers to thrive from will help kill that slogan off.

What's an Industrial Designer?

I don't have a f*cking clue,

design however...
yo
Administration
Administration
I was thinking about this topic the other day when I was doing a workshop for the students down at Wentworth Institute of Technology here in Boston.

We all have very different processes, we work on very different product types, and we even have very different sets of deliverables, so no 2 of us work on exactly the same thing, exactly the same way. So all of that material is useless to describe what we do. The simplest, most universal way I could put it is:

we make stuff happen.
nunoCR
step two
step two
Industrial Design is making stuff so that they feel right to us.
The Zeitgeist Movement
the best things in life are not things.