Re: Discussion about the IDSA

March 9th, 2010, 7:42 pm

cg
full self-realization
full self-realization
"IDSA represents the largest group of industrial designers in the world from many different countries and related fields." -IDSA website

As of today:

Core77 = 9621 members (and God knows how many discreet hits per day)
IDSA = "nearly 3000" members

That makes the Core77 community of registered members three times the size of IDSA.
Does IDSA really believe their statement?

March 9th, 2010, 7:44 pm

rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
cg wrote:"IDSA represents the largest group of industrial designers in the world from many different countries and related fields." -IDSA website

As of today:

That makes the Core77 community of registered members three times the size of IDSA. Does this surprise anyone? It shouldn't.

+1

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

March 9th, 2010, 8:21 pm

TaylorWelden
Coroflot: 7
+9621
Taylor Welden

Industrial Designer

Industrial Design Portfolio

March 9th, 2010, 8:23 pm

aaron
In all seriousness, do you really think that Core is that great and beneficial to the profession? Do you really think it does that much more than the IDSA to benefit designers?

March 9th, 2010, 8:40 pm

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization
aaron wrote:In all seriousness, do you really think that Core is that great and beneficial to the profession? Do you really think it does that much more than the IDSA to benefit designers?
I don't think one is necessarily more beneficial than the other, they operate through different mediums.

Core77 is effective because of ease of access, amount of content, and speed of communication.

IDSA is effective because of it's face-to-face principles, guest speakers, events, competitions, and student developmental involvement.

Would the profession benefit if any of these were to disappear? I think not. But I will say that logging onto Core77 throughout may day helps put different perspectives on my own work, and that can be very beneficial, if not humorous or a good break. IDSA on the other hand does a lot to engage students and gets them excited about the profession, which has a different benefit, but what can they turn to every day after they graduate? What does IDSA offer in this regard?
All dots connect, even the tiny blue one

March 9th, 2010, 8:42 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
I'll bite. I'd have to say that I do. I've seen so many students get great feedback on work. How many of us have gotten jobs through coroflot? Gotten advice on the boards? Or just enjoyed a quick blast of inspiration from the blog?

I don't think IDSA and core77 are competitive things necessarily. I think in the best case one is able to do what the other isn't and each could have their own area of strength

March 9th, 2010, 9:07 pm

aaron
That is really interesting. Would you pay to be a member?

March 9th, 2010, 9:29 pm

brianmullins
step two
step two
For me, Core has been substantially more beneficial than IDSA.
Last edited by brianmullins on March 10th, 2010, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 9th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization
aaron wrote:That is really interesting. Would you pay to be a member?
Pay to be a member of Core77?
All dots connect, even the tiny blue one

March 9th, 2010, 9:59 pm

warrenginn
rkuchinsky wrote:
One thing I think that may be one of the biggest difficulties logistics-wise is the perception of IDSA as a walled garden. People don't know what the benefits are until they join, but that is preventing them from joining in the first place.
Yup, we've done a terrible job clearly communicating our value proposition. Ironic, considering we're industrial designers, isn't it? That's going to change, my friend.
rkuchinsky wrote:sorry if I sound like a broken record here.... core77 first off should be a big focus. It's open, has a great sense of professionalism and is helpful for everyone from students to professionals. Core may not currently be the advocate for the industry that IDSA is, but how about instead working with core moreso to make a joint advocacy? It could be as easy as starting a IDSA forum on the boards (sure that wouldn't be too hard to set up) to discuss issues, events, etc. IDSA could even hold semi-regular portfolio reviews for all that are an extension of the real world reviews with key guests, etc.

IDSA could easily have a button made on coroflot such that you could identify yourself as a member and/or even search for IDSA specific portfolios.
More formal collaboration with Core77 has been discussed and all of that are good ideas.
rkuchinsky wrote:LinkedIn is another opportunity, given a big focus is networking.
Yup, doing that already. Got to LinkedIn and search "IDSA" in the groups and see what you get...
rkuchinsky wrote:As IDSA has partnered with Business Week for the IDEA awards, I think more thinking in this type of terms would be beneficial. The key is having NON-MEMBERS see IDSA and the value it brings, and wanting more, thus creating new members. Currently, the feel I think is too much, "join and trust us, it's good".

The approach should be the crack dealer way of thinking. First sample is free until you are hooked, then you need to pay for the "good" stuff to get more.
Also good. We're now working with FastCompany (now that Businessweek is no more... weird).

IDSA=crack

Very nice.
rkuchinsky wrote:It wouldn't be that hard or expensive even to do so. For example, what about a IDEAlite competition that is free to enter, or even more simple, like the 1HDC. It's gets out the brand and doesn't even need a prize, recognition could do it. How about online webinars, talks or podcasts? I know I'd for sure subscribe to a weekly or monthly podcast about design from IDSA and it might give me perspective into the organization or ideas it works towards.
All of that's good as well provided we can find someone to manage all of that (any volunteers?). We already get hundreds if not thousands of entries now... imagine what we'd get if it were free?

We've got lots of good ideas like that, but we have to think in terms of how to pay for it. Sponsors are good, so are volunteers. We don't have that many paid staff...

Great comments, Richard. Thanks.

w
Warren Ginn, FIDSA
GinnDesign, LLC
http://www.ginndesign.com

Assistant Professor of the Practice, Industrial Design
NC State University
http://design.ncsu.edu/people/warren-ginn-fidsa

March 9th, 2010, 10:05 pm

warrenginn
madhero wrote:I like the webinars/podcast idea. I'm thinking TED - they're everywhere now. I have "non-designer" friends emailing me about TED podcasts pertaining to design, etc... IDSA should be owning this!
Yeah, TED does come up when discussing the National Conference and we're well aware of how cool it would be to attract that level of speaker and attendee... One of the challenges with doing these events is to think about who might be attending...

It's a pretty basic matter of developing some personas (student, young recent graduate, mid-level designer, seasoned professional, etc.) and then imagine what kinds of content each one of those individuals would find interesting... It get's pretty complicated pretty quickly. What the recent grad wants (the latest rendering techniques for 3D Studio Max) might be vastly different from the seasoned professional (business strategies for building your design firm). It's hard ot be all things to all people without it becoming a three-ring circus... and becoming extremely expensive.

But were open to all ideas, we just have to figure how to pay for them...

w
Warren Ginn, FIDSA
GinnDesign, LLC

NC State University

March 9th, 2010, 11:11 pm

Ross McCoy
step four
step four
Let me preface this by saying that I know very little about the IDSA and it's workings. So I am going to give you my perspective from a new person's view (mainly about the website).

Just looking at the website it doesn't seem all that professional. The sketch feel of the site is a huge turn off for this being a professional organization. I understand the relevance of the sketch to our profession, but it's a childish look for the "voice of the industrial design profession". Take a look at the website from the perspective of a potential client coming to find information about ID and to find a industrial design firm. The information is just not that accessible when you first view the site.

The user interface just seems so lacking. There is no "find an ID firm" button on the front page or even as a footer. I have to click through multiple links to find a list of ID firms. That just seems like bad organization. I figure since this is supposed to be the hub for industrial design that the IDSA website would have one of the hottest and most easily navigated websites around.

The home page of the site should be the place to where I can find almost anything I need. However it's not that way. When looking at the site my eye is instantly drawn to this...
Top_Nav_Basic_r1_c9_f2.gif
Top_Nav_Basic_r1_c9_f2.gif (1.04 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
It just screams out that this is the most important thing for me to do.

There is just a lot lacking on the website to actually be of any use.

I think you should check out the American Institute of Architects' website. Just look at how it's laid out and how easily it is to find anything you could need. The is a great resource for architects and potential clients to find out more about the profession.
http://www.aia.org/index.htm

While I have a lot of issues with the AIA in general. I feel that they do a good job at helping to represent architecture and help to better the profession in general.

Some of the positives of the AIA:
- Provide guidance for students, emerging professionals and professionals.
- They put out one of the highest quality and most relevant magazines that relate to architecture.
- They provide vital resources for professionals and firms of all sizes.
- They help to educate clients looking for an architect.
- They provide resources to find jobs at the national and state levels. They have a jobs link on every page you visit on their site.
- They put on relevant conferences at the national, regional and local levels.
- They require continued training and education even after graduation in order to maintain highly trained professionals.
- They give recent graduates a free year of membership and then gradually raise the rates as your career develops.

Some of the negatives of the AIA:
- They are a bloated organization in general.
- They have a strong hold over the profession. They require you to be a member in order to be licensed as an architect. If you are not a member then your firm gets fined.
- They single handedly gave up a lot of the rights of architects to contractors.

While there is more stuff that is wrong with the AIA I will stop there and try to just focus on the positives.

I think the AIA is a good design based organization to try and model the IDSA after. They provide essential information, resources, guidance and training for the entire profession of architecture.

March 9th, 2010, 11:32 pm

warrenginn
Hey Ross,

Thanks for all the great input on the website. My response is kinda a good news/bad news thing. The bad news is that you critiqued what is just a place holder for the new site, which is still being built. The good news is that many of your suggestions are being incorporated into the website. The bad news is that the guy who was helping us build it has left and we're still searching for someone to pick it up. (http://www.coroflot.com/public/job_deta ... b_id=25062)

You'll also be glad to know that we have reviewed a number of websites of other professional orgs like AIA, AIGA, DMI, even Core77 to compare the information architecture and hierarchy. From the sneak peek I was given at the last board meeting, the new IDSA website will look nothing like what's currently up now... So that's some good and bad news...

I, too, would like the "Find a Designer" feature and I believe that's included in the new design, but we're still working out some issues with the membership database--I know, it makes my head hurt, too.

So if any of you out there know HTML and Drupal, please give Clive a call...

Thanks again for your input--it's always welcome.

w
Warren Ginn, FIDSA
GinnDesign, LLC

NC State University

March 9th, 2010, 11:53 pm

warrenginn
cg wrote:"IDSA represents the largest group of industrial designers in the world from many different countries and related fields." -IDSA website

As of today:

That makes the Core77 community of registered members three times the size of IDSA.
Does IDSA really believe their statement?
It's amazing the kind of numbers you can generate when membership is free. I think IxDA boast 10,000 members.

I'm not sure this is quite apples-to-apples, but I'm listening...

w
Warren Ginn, FIDSA
GinnDesign, LLC

NC State University

March 9th, 2010, 11:54 pm

warrenginn
aaron wrote:In all seriousness, do you really think that Core is that great and beneficial to the profession? Do you really think it does that much more than the IDSA to benefit designers?
Thanks for the reasonable question, Aaron.

w
Warren Ginn, FIDSA
GinnDesign, LLC

NC State University