galanger
Very informative! Awesome!

Thanks! :D

thanks skinny

February 1st, 2006, 12:38 pm

yenomoris
step three
step three
skinny : that was very informative i did not know bout the expanding business.. to select a larger area.
hmm.. illustrator line drawing is quick? looks like i need practise.
111 is VIRTUAL BOND

February 1st, 2006, 1:56 pm

skinny
full self-realization
full self-realization
All depends on what it is you're drawing. It all depends on your comfort level. You gain the most speed benefits in illustrator when doing lots of similar variations. I know a guy that models stuff in rhino just about as fast as you can draw it in illustrator or a presentation-ready hand drawing. All depends on what you're most comfortable using and what the product is. Every tool has it's place and purpose.

July 19th, 2006, 5:44 am

Hicalorie
im a long time photoshop lover, recently spending my days trying to master illustrator and far from it, but despite what id been told before i started using ilustrator im sure a procedure like this would generate better effect in photoshop than trying to use vectors. if anyone knows a good tutorial source for illustrator id like to see it.

July 19th, 2006, 7:07 am

skinny
full self-realization
full self-realization
For a quick concept sketch/ quick rendering, photoshop is definitely better/quicker than a vector rendering. But there is definitely a place where illustrator rules. Personally I wouldn't use it for rendering, only lineart and logo type stuff, but for some things it's worth the effort (like if the director is the type to make constant changes, etc). You can really dial in the shape and transition of every shadow /color blend in a way that you pretty much have to do manually in photoshop or with a lot of pen-tool drawing which is the same thing you're doing in illustrator except you'll have more output options from illustrator. Check out www.techvector.com, under portfolio, and then realistic. Those are all illustrator and as complicated as they are, you could probably make changes to anything in there (shading, highlights, colors) pretty effortlessly.
Pretty much, there's a time and place for everything, use what works best and fastest for the desired result.

pictures not showing up

June 30th, 2008, 11:54 am

mc_cregor
The pictures from the original post are not loading...

July 28th, 2008, 8:16 pm

michaelAtSPG
Ditto...no pictures! But from the comments it looks very interesting. Someone with access please fix!

Thanks! M

July 29th, 2008, 1:40 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
They seem to load for me, they do take a second,t hey are big images. You can also see the demo on my site at:
http://michaelditullo.com/Design/TUTORIALS.html

July 31st, 2008, 11:51 am

aubz
step four
step four
I want to post sketches.

How do I do that, because I tried uploading from photobucket.com and pasting the IMG and it didn't work!

Re: quick concept sketch tutorial

September 20th, 2008, 4:34 pm

diamondblast
diabolix wrote:Wouldn't this be much easier to do with Adobe Streamline and Illustrator. I've done this for years with gradients and masks and it's much more simple than what you have described.
In my opinion it is not easier using the Adobe Streamline.
I think it is the 3d factor that makes the difference.
I never did masks .... so mabe there is something else I havent noticed.
Great work btw.