Modular circuit basics

I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction for some basic info on how the circuitry works when you have modular products passing power through to each other (example attached of a modular lighting system.) My main question is, with each module having contacts that are capable of connecting and transferring power to another module, how is it you don’t get electrocuted if you were to touch those contacts? Is there a switch built in that only lets power flow when it knows it’s connected to another module? Any info or help is very much appreciated.

The voltage is low in these products. If memory serves, you can’t feel electricity under 24V unless it has a lot of current.

As for the wiring, it’s like a wall socket. The wiring is parallel so that you don’t need something plugged into each socket to make it work.

“It’s not the volts that’ll get you it’s the amps”

Low voltage products are generally not dangerous enough which is why they don’t need any special circuitry, just like holding both ends of a battery will cause it to discharge, you don’t notice because the current is so low.

There are ways to limit the flow of electricity with safety switches, over voltage protection and different grounding schemes (making it most difficult to create an accidental short on the connectors) as well. It depends on what your needs are. Same way if you were to touch the pins on a magsafe connector for a Macbook you wouldn’t blow a lightning bolt out.

Thanks for the help, guys. That’s pretty much what I figured, but I had no real info to back it up. Really appreciate the help.