April 11th, 2009, 12:40 am

User avatar
jon_winebrenner
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3144
Joined: October 26th, 2004, 10:56 am
Coroflot: 44466
Location: Vancouver, BC
Apparently this month's 1HDC is catching people's imagination.

The earbud speakers were featured on "The Unofficial Apple Blog":

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/04/08/earbud-s ... ess-cards/

question about posting entries

April 11th, 2009, 7:47 am

Sushi Bandito
Posts: 13
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 6:45 pm
Location: Appalachian State University
when you want to submit an entry. do you click "new topic" or "post reply" when in the submission forum?
Come and think with me.

April 11th, 2009, 1:20 pm

User avatar
shyamsun
step three
step three
Posts: 124
Joined: August 20th, 2008, 3:36 pm
Location: Oakland, CA
I think the earbud speaker is a nice looking design so I tried it myself but didnt seem to make any audible difference. I guess its just for aesthetics and not practical. Sorry! I am a very practical.
I like the jewelery design it has more potential. I can imagine as a compliment to the kids who come to jewel store. Possibly expensive.

The pitchman bragging about his B card, I think his card will be the first to get tossed out. Nowadays you just need a name title and website. That is more than enough. Maybe the first time you would like all that information but once you know about the person you dont need to carry that big chunk everywhere.

April 12th, 2009, 10:53 am

SoloC
step one
step one
Posts: 45
Joined: December 22nd, 2007, 10:28 am
Location: SF
Wow, the new entry is very inspiring.

yeah

April 12th, 2009, 1:58 pm

Sushi Bandito
Posts: 13
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 6:45 pm
Location: Appalachian State University
yeah its a cool idea but needs some tweeking. it dosen't exactly work to well. but i great idea to build upon
Come and think with me.

April 12th, 2009, 9:41 pm

clide
Posts: 2
Joined: April 12th, 2009, 9:29 pm
Location: OK, USA
Hi, I'm the designer the cardapult business card that rkuchinsky posted in the submission thread. Can I enter the contest? Do I need to make a post in that thread?

hmmm

April 12th, 2009, 10:01 pm

Sushi Bandito
Posts: 13
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 6:45 pm
Location: Appalachian State University
i think your gonna have a hard time convincing the judges that the cardapult took you and hour to both conceive and construct. Kick ass design though. mad props
Come and think with me.

April 13th, 2009, 9:45 am

seth_ke
Posts: 2
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 8:34 am
I'm In too~~

Re: hmmm

April 13th, 2009, 10:08 am

clide
Posts: 2
Joined: April 12th, 2009, 9:29 pm
Location: OK, USA
Sushi Bandito wrote:i think your gonna have a hard time convincing the judges that the cardapult took you and hour to both conceive and construct. Kick ass design though. mad props
Ah, I didn't know construction had to be done in an hour. It most definitely wasn't, so I guess I'm not eligible.

so...

April 17th, 2009, 9:51 am

Sushi Bandito
Posts: 13
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 6:45 pm
Location: Appalachian State University
would anyone like to discuss what they like or dislike about the entries so far? i like the emergency sunglasses. although i think the chamfer needs to be a little larger because it appears as though it would uncomfortably chop down on the users nose.

i'm not really feeling the wire holder. functionally it works, but so does duct tape. this is a design comp. and it just seems to me that a little more thought could have gone into the aesthetics of the design while still achieving a functional result.

and vice versa for the snowflake. the person just took someone else's design and made it out of business cards. i mean come on. it's a i hour DESIGN challenge. that doesn't mean go out and find the most challenging design and copy it. by the look of the craftsmanship that went into the snowflake, i'm sure that person could have come up with their own idea.

i'm not trying to pis anyone off. just trying to give some constructive feedback, and stir things up a little so people will start discussing their opinions about the entries.
after all most of us are designers or are aspiring to become a professional designer, and discussion is the only way to turn a good idea into a great idea.

come on guys and gals!
What are you thinking?
Come and think with me.

April 17th, 2009, 5:52 pm

User avatar
rkuchinsky
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5933
Joined: July 3rd, 2005, 9:20 am
Coroflot: 33013
Location: Toronto, Canada
FWIW, I've seen that seed business card idea before. Not saying it was any intentional copying involved, just that it already exists...

here's a few-

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/06/03/bu ... hat-s.html

I also remember a hangtag for some environmental clothing company doing the same thing with seed embedded in the paper. (sorry, can't remember which brand, it was at least a year ago).

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

April 19th, 2009, 2:46 am

SoloC
step one
step one
Posts: 45
Joined: December 22nd, 2007, 10:28 am
Location: SF
I think the one that are practical for me are the tea bag holder, the pen holder and the key hook. Also the core earphone case.

I can see myself using some of those design in my studio where white wall is around and temporary organization is needed.

April 20th, 2009, 9:20 am

User avatar
Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization
Posts: 1217
Joined: April 26th, 2004, 10:31 pm
rkuchinsky wrote:FWIW, I've seen that seed business card idea before. Not saying it was any intentional copying involved, just that it already exists...

here's a few-

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/06/03/bu ... hat-s.html

I also remember a hangtag for some environmental clothing company doing the same thing with seed embedded in the paper. (sorry, can't remember which brand, it was at least a year ago).

R
Whoa, didn't see those, there is a seed paper company out there that makes seed business cards (I found this out after the fact) however you plant the entire card and the contact info is lost, kind of pointless.

April 20th, 2009, 10:11 am

User avatar
Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization
Posts: 1867
Joined: September 4th, 2005, 2:28 pm
Location: UK
Greenman wrote:
rkuchinsky wrote:FWIW, I've seen that seed business card idea before. Not saying it was any intentional copying involved, just that it already exists...

here's a few-

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/06/03/bu ... hat-s.html

I also remember a hangtag for some environmental clothing company doing the same thing with seed embedded in the paper. (sorry, can't remember which brand, it was at least a year ago).

R
Whoa, didn't see those, there is a seed paper company out there that makes seed business cards (I found this out after the fact) however you plant the entire card and the contact info is lost, kind of pointless.
It's already out there, but there are some cool possibilities nevertheless - check out this landscape architects card with living green areas in the planview. Not amazing, but clever...
landscapebizcard.jpg
landscape card
landscapebizcard.jpg (16.7 KiB) Viewed 8346 times

April 20th, 2009, 11:00 am

User avatar
jon_winebrenner
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3144
Joined: October 26th, 2004, 10:56 am
Coroflot: 44466
Location: Vancouver, BC
Greenman wrote:Whoa, didn't see those, there is a seed paper company out there that makes seed business cards (I found this out after the fact) however you plant the entire card and the contact info is lost, kind of pointless.
I dunno, I pretty much enter a biz card info right away then recycle the card (I regularly back up my contact d/b)

Something other than the typical recycle process is kind of cool.
Reply