step three
step three
Here are a few-

Desk lamps
Desk phones
Automotive jacks
Golf clubs

just a few random thoughts...
Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness is largely matter of conscious choice.
http://www.coroflot.com/c2c

June 4th, 2008, 12:47 pm

JR
my 2c
whatever the topic is I don't think it should focus purely on styling. Innovative problem solving ideas should also be rewarded so long as they meet the minimum presentation requirements and the idea comes across clearly.

that being said my suggestions for topics are:

- Personal computers (can we do better than Apple?)
- Watches sound good.. (is wearable technology too open for a brief?)
- Drink Containers (any type..flasks, bottles, cans, throw-away, refillable, etc)
- Stationary sounds good (easy to work with like the PC speakers)
- Alarm Clocks (can yield quirky designs... who's ever smashed one to bits?)
- Toilets could be interesting but limited I think.

some good suggestions from people so far.

topics

June 5th, 2008, 4:03 pm

frdiby
step two
step two
Coroflot: 170521
Here are a couple topics I would be interested in:

clothing with integrated technology (i.e. Genz&Rosella KineticDress & Hug Shirt)
unique game controlers (i.e. the Wii Fit pad, the Zapper, the Nunchuck, and the Remote)

June 30th, 2008, 10:58 am

G-man
step one
step one
For one- I think 1HR Design Challenge needs its OWN website! It's such a pain to try to figure out when the next one is beginning, etc. Plus it would centralize everything.

Speaking of- When ARE these scheduled? Is it just random or is there some logic to it? (once a week? once a month?)

I also like the contests that are more open ended, "solve a problem" kind of challenges, rather than "here churn out some speakers."

Challenges

June 30th, 2008, 12:38 pm

Peart
How about these....

Sport training device, or new sport?

Golf Accessory or Equipment (everyone plays golf!)

Landscaping Tool

Water- Vehicle/Toy/Game

Baby/Child- Educational Toy/Game (away from any sort of monitor or tv)

Kitchen Device

Please... just no small electronics

July 1st, 2008, 10:38 am

jon_winebrenner
Coroflot: 44466
G-man wrote:For one- I think 1HR Design Challenge needs its OWN website! It's such a pain to try to figure out when the next one is beginning, etc. Plus it would centralize everything.

Speaking of- When ARE these scheduled? Is it just random or is there some logic to it? (once a week? once a month?)

I also like the contests that are more open ended, "solve a problem" kind of challenges, rather than "here churn out some speakers."
We seem to be picking up some steam on the entries and interest. So an independent site may be something to consider.

On this note...is there anyone out there that would be interested in helping out with a site?

As for schedule of the competition.....there hasn't been a formal one. That said, we seem to be starting to form one for the end of every month. Our target right now is to be the last week of each month so that the winners can be announced in the Core77 newsletter at the beginning of each month.

1 Hour Challenge Suggestion

July 2nd, 2008, 12:37 pm

rayeski
There has been a lot of hype lately around Prosthetics lately with all the soldiers returning home missing limbs. I suggest a 1 hour challenge focusing on prosthetics that you would literally give your right arm or leg for. Being upper extremity(Right Arm) amputee for 10 years now, I can give a few areas to consider. Comfort, Weight, Durability, Appearance(not all amputees want it to look real, some of us like to embrace a more terminator looking appearance) Function, Materials, Technology,Cost. I think this has great potential for a product that until recent years has been referred to as "not advancing since WWII."
Denim Deans most recent work http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/video?id=221
Cheetah Legs http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/02/sport ... ah.html?hp

Suggestions

July 15th, 2008, 8:44 am

Bontje_id
These challenges are not going to have World changing solutions in them. The reason for this is if someone invents something truly world changing, they aren't going to post it online until it's protected. The second reason is that it takes well over an hour to get a Patent. (someone laughed at that somewhere)

My suggestion is to make a one hour challenge that sits outside of the normal "I'm a designer" mind set. Therefore, changing the design world which we are all part of. It should be a little easier then the real World.

examples:
What to do with a water bottle?
Modify a green toy solder
Topics for a one hour challenge
Design a shelter without tools
Uses for ugly neck ties from the 70's

Sustainable mark making

August 5th, 2008, 8:00 pm

molested_cow
full self-realization
full self-realization
Here's something that I have been thinking about for a while but still got nothing in my mind.

"Truly sustainable mark-making"

Mark-making, as in, writing, drawing, printing etc. Much of human's history is passed down through mark-making. Knowledge is being transfered through writing and printing. With digital media, many believe that digital paper is the more sustainable solution to traditional paper, but is it?

Traditional media such as pen/cil and paper uses natural resources to produce, and very often chemicals that do harm to the environment, and fuel to operate the whole manufacturing of the mediums.

Digital writing often requires hardware to begin with. Immediately, we are looking at computer chips/boards, plastics and all the things that come along with them. Plus, most digital gadgets become obsolete quickly.

So what is the truly sustainable mark-making? Not only does the resource need to be renewable, degradable(industrially or naturally), it needs to be just as good, or even better than what we have today. Will I still be able to write clearly with it? How long lasting will it be? Can it be archived? What about resolution?

I guess this is asking for too much, and I am not thinking along the line of "products" or "designs". I guess I am more interested to see a systematic proposal that we can start manifesting into a more mature and adequate solution for tomorrow.
It's not the cows' fault, stop molesting them!!!

DUDE!

August 25th, 2008, 11:53 pm

shields1554
step one
step one
Let's try designing an interface or an interaction. A game? A drinking game?

August 31st, 2008, 1:58 am

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization
Let’s just make something sexy. But something not sexy, like taxes, or accountancy for that matter.... OR maybe something that is very set in its ways, a bed. Do they need to be a rectangle? Why must we be forced with so few sleeping options? I don't want to come off as weird but I mean it is for shits and giggles so go wild and do something off the deep end.

PS: why can't I say 's e x y'? just PM me or something.
summerdan wrote:At the famous designer's design, and see more of open the book thinking, read some books are always didn't harm
Come on I believe that you can

September 6th, 2008, 1:46 am

Kershaw
step four
step four
Sinks or Kitchen Appliances
Jim Kershaw | Industrial Designer - Footwear & Outerwear - Fish/Hunt
Orvis | Manchester, Vermont
http://www.jkersh.com

September 6th, 2008, 10:52 pm

hs.wang
the subject of sustainability should be intrinsic in all our designs don't u think?
Why don't we look at some real issues now like salt water contamination on small islands, or the lost of land mass due to raising sea levels, crazy weather patterns, agricultural lost.

That been said, subjects the deals with survival or basic living needs could be addressed: water collection/filtration, emergency shelters/instant shelters, survival equipments, food development (growth, preparation, transportation), etc...
(I'm personally really fascinated by alternative dwellings)

this way it also sorta gets rid of the beauty contest mentality.

yes? no?

September 6th, 2008, 10:56 pm

hs.wang
or we could be given the topic of a certain (new) sustainable material, and see who can come up with the most creative+beneficial+effective use for it.

September 8th, 2008, 12:10 pm

Kershaw
step four
step four
ip_wirelessly wrote:
On this note...is there anyone out there that would be interested in helping out with a site?
I would, I do web design on the side

email/PM/ or IM me when you get a chance
Jim Kershaw | Industrial Designer - Footwear & Outerwear - Fish/Hunt
Orvis | Manchester, Vermont
http://www.jkersh.com