Chinese student,good or not?

March 23rd, 2006, 5:56 am

qiananming
Design is a new word in china.Chinese teacher know little about it.They can do their job well? :!: Chinese student,good or not?

March 26th, 2006, 3:00 am

brisy
maybe chinese students have more potential!
brilliance of the rising sun

March 26th, 2006, 8:38 am

MasterBlaster
step four
step four
Lets put it this way- there are more Chinese students. Even if 90% are crap you will pump out more quality designers than other parts of the world, but that still would not be enough to meet the manufacturing and design needs of China. My impression of Tsinghua University in Beijing was that the curriculum was on par with the rest of the world and the facilities seemed to be better.

THat said- I dont think that Chinese students have to be better or worse, they have a better understanding of China, and the Chinese values. You also have access to American and European media, so you can at least learn something (though I think that the Internet and TV, movies can give a stilted impression).

Are you finding yourself frustrated with your students?? Just wondering why you asked the question.

March 26th, 2006, 8:04 pm

HelloKitchen
totally agree~~

:wink:

MasterBlaster wrote:Lets put it this way- there are more Chinese students. Even if 90% are crap you will pump out more quality designers than other parts of the world, but that still would not be enough to meet the manufacturing and design needs of China. My impression of Tsinghua University in Beijing was that the curriculum was on par with the rest of the world and the facilities seemed to be better.

THat said- I dont think that Chinese students have to be better or worse, they have a better understanding of China, and the Chinese values. You also have access to American and European media, so you can at least learn something (though I think that the Internet and TV, movies can give a stilted impression).

Are you finding yourself frustrated with your students?? Just wondering why you asked the question.
time takes a cigarette

March 27th, 2006, 6:42 am

yaoyao
i am a chinese student majored in Industrial design, now i am in my third year in University. but it really lack of good teachers , i almost learn everything by myself , ID in china has a long way to go . Collge Entrance Exam won't give the country excellent designer, the education system itself has its backwards. So i decide to stop my study and go on my study in Germany, i hope i can learn more there.

March 27th, 2006, 7:49 am

MasterBlaster
step four
step four
yaoyao- I think that in most ID schools you will find that the teachers are not on the cutting edge of technique. Most guys I know picked up their skills and techniques from professional internships. So China is not that different from the rest of the world

March 29th, 2006, 8:08 am

yaoyao
ya, you are right ,Masterblaster, i need to get more in some projects…only in this way can i learn more about the technik, :lol: thank you so much for your advice……

March 29th, 2006, 8:50 am

hyltom
Coroflot: 108823
I'm working in China since 6 years and from my past experience, i can said that chinese student have a very strong computer skill but lack of drawing ability (for most of them). They are not aware of the design process and have not enough trend, history... knowledge. But as all of you said, they can learn so fast. This is certainly their most impressive skill.
For the time being, China miss of a good education system for this sector. And that the key point of the success.

April 6th, 2006, 4:38 am

lingmiester
step three
step three
hi hyltom, I agree! Its often the result of producing designers that industrys want, not what industry needs. Worst i have seen designers designing in the 3D program!

China in most parts, has a strong manufacturing and engineering background, thus the skills learnt all lean towards that direction. It will take a while to realise the importants of the hand drawn sketch.

April 6th, 2006, 4:52 am

ufo
full self-realization
full self-realization
i don't think chinese are that stupid.
2FAST4 BMW

Chris Bangle, Director of BMW Group Design, BMW AG:
"A great airplane designer once said 'pretty planes fly faster.' And then came the Stealth, proving the paradigm wrong."

April 29th, 2006, 4:18 am

idioi
I am a chinese student major in ID. Almost all of my classmates want to go abroad to get further education in design.

April 30th, 2006, 10:23 am

prof
step two
step two
Going abroad is a good idea for everyone. Staying at home is a guarantee for staying close-minded and stale. For everyone, no matter which country.

May 10th, 2006, 3:40 am

XXL
I don't think we can just say "chinese student good or not"simply.
Because the person is different from one to one. It is true not only in china but in other countries in the world.
物有所不足 智有所不明
每天进步一点点:)

May 20th, 2006, 7:18 am

seed0018
hello!~everyone! i am a student of qiananming .he is our ID teacher he's pretty good and i think he's view point is totally right .most of our teacher are not really understand what is design. and i doubted that they teacher us just for the salary. some of them are assignment machine. they never taught us how to design and how to think.to make things worse. some of them are very arrogant !these disappointed us deeply~~~i don't want to say any more.

May 20th, 2006, 6:55 pm

speachk
I am doing a e-survey about Chinese design and education.
I would be appricate if any students in Greater China(mainland, Hong Kong and Macau) and Taiwan can participate.
The data can let us know students' comments and their needs.
Available at
http://ess.ntu.ac.uk/sutton/formfiles/n ... ignedu.htm

Thanks.