Tibet Travel Tips?

I’m leaving for my um-tenth trip to Shenzhen tomorrow, but I’ve carved out next week to go to Tibet. First time visitor. Half the time will be in Lhasa and the balance will be traveling to and from Everest base camp. My son and I are going to spend about 5 minutes doing touristy stuff, and then do a lot of “street photography” - both urban and rural.

Has anyone made this trip before? Any tips? I’ve read everything on the web about altitude sickness (AMS), so I’m comfortable with that. I got the full load of drugs to take. What about restaurants / bars / stuff to buy?

I did. Lots.

Share? especially images… . :wink: Please.

From my photo-blog posts:

BTW: Please don’t leave any comments on the web site about the photos of the Chinese military presence in Tibet. It may sound paranoid, but I need to stay “clean” in case big brother in China is sniffing my web site. I want to keep my China visa intact for work. Thanks

Daily life in Tibet: 吉姆 JIM HOFMAN | Photography » Archive Tibet | Daily Life - 吉姆 JIM HOFMAN | Photography

Tibet art: 吉姆 JIM HOFMAN | Photography » Archive Tibet | Art - 吉姆 JIM HOFMAN | Photography

Tibet food: 吉姆 JIM HOFMAN | Photography » Archive Tibet | Food (Yak) - 吉姆 JIM HOFMAN | Photography

Mt. Everest: 吉姆 JIM HOFMAN | Photography » Archive Tibet | Mt. Everest - 吉姆 JIM HOFMAN | Photography

Monks & monasteries: 吉姆 JIM HOFMAN | Photography » Archive Tibet | Monks & Monasteries - 吉姆 JIM HOFMAN | Photography

Traveling in Tibet: 吉姆 JIM HOFMAN | Photography » Archive Tibet | Traveling - 吉姆 JIM HOFMAN | Photography

Tibet people: 吉姆 JIM HOFMAN | Photography » Archive Tibet | Faces - 吉姆 JIM HOFMAN | Photography

Tibet shadows & reflections: http://hofmanphotos.com/?p=2470

Wow, great pics!

R

Wow, great pics!

Indeed… thanks for posting them. Travel opens mind. Too bad we can’t all get around more.

May I suggest that you edit your post and put your “request” ahead of the images.

Good idea…

Jim, again, I can’t say how much I have enjoyed these images. If everyone were literally able to walk a few miles in the shoes of other cultures we’d all be a whole lot happier.

I haven’t been out of county in quite some time. Refreshing stuff to see.

Thanks.