Freelance job, on-site?

I occasionally browse the job listing. I saw this listing by Kaleidoscope for a freelance model maker position I thought was unusual.

They write “Not looking for a full-time gig but still want to work with us?” but then go on to say that “All freelancers must be able to work on-site and available during normal hours of business typically from 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM. Some extended hours and/or weekend work may be necessary in order to meet client expectations. This is a contract freelance opportunity; no overtime or benefits.”

So this position is $15 hr which seemed really low to me so I looked it up and it’s substantially lower than average according to information on the Chicago area. The posting mentions it’s per project basis but implies full time hours, plus extended hours with no overtime pay and no benefits. Is on-site contract labor a normal practice, do most design consultancies operate like this?

Here is the listing:

Freelance: Model Maker
Kaleidoscope
$15 an hour - Full-time, Contract

Apply Now

Not looking for a full-time gig but still want to work with us?
Kaleidoscope is always looking for talented freelancers on an as-needed and per project basis. If you are skilled in any of the following area(s), please send along your cover letter, resume, few work samples and/or your portfolio. Please do not apply if you are not able to work on-site in our office in Chicago.

Model Maker

We are looking individuals with experience in one or more of these areas of Product Development, Industrial Design, Packaging and Exhibit Displays. Must love to make models and work in a shop environment and have some basic wood shop/model shop experience. We will train the right people. Must be detail oriented, organized, demonstrate excellent craftsmanship. Must communicate and work well with co-workers, project managers, designers and clients alike.

Model Making: Fabricating conventional models from sketches and cad drawings using wide variety of stock material; Wood working, sculpting, thermo-forming and machining

Detail model finishers: Preparing parts for painting and assembly

Mock-up hand assembly including packaging and sales samples

CAD Drafting: Creating 3D CAD models from sketches for Industrial Design support and prototyping

3D Printing: Preparing files for 3D printing; High fidelity-Objet MJM, SLA, SLS and Low-fidelity desktop filament printers

CNC Machining and CAM Programming: CAM programing and CNC operation, making model parts in plastics, wood and soft meta

Mold and Casting: Experience creating RTV molds and Urethane part casting.

All freelancers must be able to work on-site and available during normal hours of business typically from 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM. Some extended hours and/or weekend work may be necessary in order to meet client expectations. This is a contract freelance opportunity; no overtime or benefits.
Please include your resume, cover letter, and examples of your work.

$15 is low end intern pay in Chicago for an industrial designer, not sure about model maker. Also, they might just mean that ideally you would be available during regular business hours so you can show up to the office. Some clients prefer freelancers to be there, some don’t.

That is less than I paid my intern.

I would agree $15 a hour is way to low even if it a student- especially if they are looking for a person with any type of skills in those areas - and for Chicago…,…

Kaleidoscope has occasional job postings in the Seattle area via Indeed - impossible to find out what its all about - are they a placement agency or an actual consultancy?

they are a actual firm - many of their designers work on-site at customer locations - but at the heart they are a consultancy

Sounds like they are trying to bypass a temp agency (who usually charge about 30-50% of the hourly wage).

Good luck. Tight labor market.

This is surprising to me, $15 being too low for a student. Interning for a Chicago consultancy? I thought $20’s were for high level skilled students interning for corporate. TBH I have been out of college for a few years and don’t have much opportunity to have open discussions on current rates.

Well, yesterday I saw an outdoor Target ad in suburban IL hiring for min-wage $12/hour.

In 2019 Chicago minimum wage bumps up to $13. As a contract position, $15/hr will realistically be as low or lower than minimum wage. Also no benefits, but you’ll be working with power tools and chemicals in a workshop environment. And in spite of the fact that they want to see a portfolio of past work samples, the pay rate tells you the position in fact holds no value to them and can be filled by someone with no learned skills.

I’ve used Kaleidoscope in the past for packaging samples, but they’ve sort of crossed themselves off my list of available vendors if this is how they treat people.

depending on how much you think you could be billable (most freelancers are billable for between 1000 and 1500 hours per year) that would the a yearly income of $15,000 and $22,500 a year…