Fairly absurd ID posting for Amazon

Lab 126 does their consumer electronics, with a pretty standard if sweat-shoppy environment if rumors are to be believed.
The design disciplines in other offices are not well defined, lacking a ‘design culture’ and from this posting also lacking a clear idea of what designers do.

Amazon WW Engineering Advanced Technologies located in Seattle WA. Is developing the next generation of Amazon Fulfillment mechatronic solutions in: robotics, autonomous vehicles, auto identification, packaging automation and process engineering. If you are inspired by invention, advanced system integration, solving complex problems and working with highly talented teams then Amazon Advanced Technologies might be a great fit.

Basic Qualifications
Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics or equivalent technical discipline.
Minimum 5 years of experience as CAD or mechanical design engineer.
Expert at Solidworks or Autodesk Inventor and Solidworks PDM.
Demonstrated ability to apply design for X principles (manufacturing, assembly, cost).
Understanding of mechanics, structures and mechanisms.
Customer focused and able to prioritize work demands in a dynamic work environment with multiple projects, project owners and aggressive deadlines.
Self-motivated and perpetually curious. Able to anticipate team needs and acquire new skills.
Comfortable in midst of ambiguity.

Preferred Qualifications
Masters in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics or equivalent technical discipline.
MHE knowledge is a plus
High degree of proficiency in Solidworks AND Autodesk Inventor.
Prior experience in material handling, industrial robotics or manufacturing environments.
Knowledge of GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing)
Experience with 3D scanning across multiple scanning modalities ranging from scanner for parts to BIM applications.
Knowledge of Rhino 3D or other surface modeling skills.
FEA experience.
Experience with process simulation and discrete event based simulation tools like FlexSim, Arena, Demo3D, Visual Components.
Efficient written and oral communicator.

Are you sure that’s an ID posting? Because the first line is talking about their Engineering Tech group and working on their fulfillment robots. It seems like an ME posting more than anything.

Yes.

https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/709930/industrial-designer

I don’t know that has anything to do with “design culture”, they are a massive company and the person who does their HR likely saw “Mechanical Industrial Design Engineer” and somehow figured “Industrial Designer” was the closest thing in their Oracle system.

It’s quite clear from reading the job description what they want is an Industrial Engineer.

Yeah I would agree with the comments here.
This really does not seem to be a posting for an ID position at all.

It’s frustrating when these things are miss-labeled.
I have personally been quite frustrated with LinkedIn’s awful algorithm that keeps suggesting “Product” positions to me when they are clearly looking for UX/UI designers.

A couple of years ago I was working with HR dept. to submit a posting for entry level I.D. and they pulled the I.D. job description they had on file and it clearly was IE, not ID. Sad, but true, and looks like the case here. I re-wrote the assoc., staff, and Sr. I.D. job descriptions for them.

The “comfortable with ambiguity”, Rhino/surfacing, and customer-focused aspects are tie-ins to a ‘design’ job but yeah quite mislabeled.

I once had to justify to the US Department of Labor that a UX Designer job was not the same thing as an RF antenna engineer.

Classification is hard when you’re relying on mostly out of date terminology and systems.

The good news is those super poorly label jobs are easier to get because nobody finds them! Consider yourself a treasure hunter. I used to always get excited when I found a position newly listed on a corporate system since I knew it would be weeks before that made it onto any normal hiring tool.

I figured it out. Amazon is going to Amazon-effect the term “industrial design” and take it for their own uses.

Actual ‘industrial designers’ will have to either submit to the New Normal, change their title completely, or cease operations.

[rolleyes]

I have a friend that applied to Amazon after completing a Ph.D. in Computer Science. After interviewing for a specific position Amazon offered a lesser entry level position.

My friend also interviewed at another well established company that I believe every designer in here is familiar with. The company created a position for them, put a team around them and they are now a valued employee. After hearing the whole story Amazon’s hiring practices sound prosaic. I can only imagine what it would be like to work there as a creative.