UX Mentor

August 13th, 2018, 12:09 pm

coratheexplorer
I live in San Francisco and have been working in industrial design consultancies for about 6 years, in the last year I have slowly been transitioning into more of a UX role which I like more than industrial design. I am in search of a UX mentor, someone I can talk to with advice about the UX industry, jobs, portfolios, someone I can bounce project ideas off, someone who can teach me a little bit more about UX. If anyone is interested let me know!

Re: UX Mentor

August 14th, 2018, 8:53 am

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization
Feel free to post here, I'm happy to discuss the pivot to UX and posting on the forums has the benefits of others being able to chime in or learn from the same feedback.

August 14th, 2018, 10:15 am

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
Awesome, I was hoping you would reply Mike!

October 5th, 2018, 7:47 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization
Saw this a while back but was under the gun..just finished a 2 month mostly UX/UI/FED contract with a hot startup in San Francisco ( remotely though ) and have been doing those things for a while now, mostly in software, not sure if you are more into physical product UX , but most concepts could be considered interchangeable I suppose, anyways, some basic pointers:

Find a niche (something you gravitate towards ), make a portfolio around it, it takes time, network to get jobs, have your own projects and backup work, the market has its ups and downs.

UX imho is about putting yourself in the users shoes, finding pain points and solutions and negotiating with stake holders on their behalf, usually by tying business needs and goals to your proposal.

If there's anything specific you have doubts about post it here.

-K
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

October 7th, 2018, 8:12 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization
Never heard back, guess they decided to stick with ID ;-)