are there any good american designers

blush

It’s a 2.8 mb flash file, so it might be a tad slow. I’ve added a warning.

Hey Mapleleaf, I was able to look at your portfolio. Very, very nice. Good that you showed process, sketches, end product, etc.

Let me first say that the portfolio is good and what you have shown is right on par with what I would expect from someone with you experience (heh heh, I almost sound like I know what I am talking about!). Here’s my suggestion on the whole Flash thing though. Load movie. Nuff’ said. Go to www.virtual-fx.net. they have a wonderful tutorial on there that will guide you through doing this. Will help IMMENSELY on the file size.

In terms of industrial design though, great portfolio.

maybe because of the firewall here, but i cant see anything.

reminds me of a job i lost long ago because they couldnt view my material that i sent, they just give up after 2x.

am i the only one who cant see it, or the only one with super anal firewall

6ix: thank you for your compliment and your help. Unfortunately, similar to oggi who can’t see my website, I can’t seem to view the virtual-fx website!!!

oggi: I will post here again after fine tuning my web site and we can have another go.

Hmph, guess virtual-fx was taken down. Good reason why you couldn’t look at it! Too bad, it was a helpful site. But, I found another tutorial for you that might help.

If you have any questions or problems, shoot me an email at esolida@yahoo.com and I’ll do what I can to help out. Once you grasp the concept of “load movie,” wondrous things happen!!

Good luck!

oggi-
In reply to your original question: yes, and I consider myself one of them.
Unfortunately for you, I believe the quality designers that are employed are not taking the time from their developing careers to keep an updated Coroflot presence.
DISCLAIMER: This BY NO MEANS indicates that the designers listed on coroflot are not capable, just better at keeping their presence known.

Personally, (which means for myself and not to be applied generally or specifically to ANYONE else) I felt much more comfortable searching for a position in a more personal way. That said, I didn’t realize that so many employers would be trolling the coroflot site, so my info will be included soon - thanks for the heads up.

its very strange that you guys feel that all the responsibility in filling a position is upon you, the one seeking the position. Saying that you will contact whomever when you are seeking a job, you are limiting yourself so much. Employers are desperatly seeking and searching, every day and night. I still, to this moment dont get it. before i graduated I had my web page up and portfolio kit done and ready to send, and whenever I had the slightest hint that I may need to search for a position I revamped everything right away. Why arent design schools having a class or atleast a session on ‘selling yourself’, because you are essentially a product that you must sell, and your portfolio is the hardest design project that one can work on.

I appologise for anyone I irritated, I am starting to see that much of the problems now are a result of the design education system. The lack of professors that have deep real-world experience is a handicap, and those who graduate grad school and go directly to teaching design fundamental at best can only reiterate what they were taught. But…i guess what real-world designer will derail their career and shift to teaching full-time. It sounds lame but perhaps if most of us are heading to product design careers, the schools should focus on actual product design a little more, and have some class in senior year that is about portfolio development and presentation. My school didnt have such a class, did anyone elses?

anyone want to sponsor a class with me?

we had a class the beginning of my junior year called professional practice. it focused on explaining the different types of design environments you can work in (corporate, freelance, consulting, etc). then we were taught about resumes, cover letters, etc. we had to hand in a sample resume and cover letter and business card for grading, and finally a sample portfolio we got feedback on. is that the kind of class you were asking about?

I am currently attending a school that has a required class called portfolio development. Basically all senior take this during their final semester. Not only do they rework project for their portfolio but the “BRAND” themselves. They create identity, letterhead, cd/dvd label etc all for the interviewing process.

This is a graphic design requirement. Not sure what they do in the ID department although they do have a class called presentation techniques. (I’m currently taking this.) Its a flash class but I do believe the final project requires you do develop/design/execute a presentation of your work in flash.

I never had a specific class about finding a job in University, but it was discussed in nearly every class. That is the #1 thought on every students mind I think. Also, all my professors had a pretty good level of real-world experience.

I do agree with you oggi that us job searchers feel the weight of responsibility is more on us. From the designers that I’ve met very few were contacted by an employer or answered a want-ad. Most designers alerted a firm to their work.

any other RISD grads working now?

any other RISD grads working now?

what are you getting at, if i may ask?

joseph, u seem to be only interested in freelance/collab. projects from your coroflot. Let me know if you are seeking a full-time gig and also if you have a portfolio available somewhere with some of your freelance projects

I am looking for full-time as well…but you probably need someone more experienced than me…I may not come up to your expectations in knowing all about engineering and production…but I am good with lots of computer programs, “I am Korean American” :smiley: , and have done some CAD work…if you are interested let me know and I’ll send you more samples…thanks!

i understand what oggi is looking for.

i don’t believe it something the schools should be blamed for. i remember in school we were told how diverse we had to be. some kids got the point and went off to get their own internships, others didn’t and went to work some schmoe job until they graduated.

you become a well-rounded designer through experience. a lot of grads are coming out having been so focused on their academic life, they forgot to try to transition into a professional life.

fact is, you gotta be able to hang with every department you might encounter: engineering, marketing, finance, production. ivory towers are for dreamers. do’ers get the paycheck.

oggi:
i assume there are just as many jobless/worthless risd grads as there are from any other id school.

I’m not a grad yet, but take a look here: http://www.timgolnik.com/portfolio/timgolnikportfolio.pdf
it’s a 1.6 meg pdf, so it may take a while to dl.

hey dont i know u?

ha! how’s it going joe? how’s life as a postgrad?

Here is a question:
I want to be a really good designer. I went to a school that was insulated from the larger design community, and realized this too late for my own good. I was the second best student in my class, I consistently did better work than everyone else and was constantly narrowing the gap between me and the no. 1. How to I break into a good firm?

And a request:
BTW, I started putting together my online coroflot port a week and a half ago, so if you’d like to see it, it’s at www.coroflot.com/cooperpriess and if you have any comments, please e-mail them to me, I’d like some serious criticism. It will be incomplete for another week or two, I’m still weeding through projects, but I’d like to know if I am giong in remotely the right direction.

nice work tim…props props…your computer and mechanical skills are off the hizzy…i love the instrument…life is hard after grad…best luck to you.