cordless drill ergonomics

Hello guys

I am investigating topic related to ergonomics of handheld cordless power drill. In my researches I found that angle between handle and main body has changed among recent years. To be explicit: it has decreased imho.

Do you know what factors or conditions drive the value on an angle indicated on picture below?

thank you in advance

Technically, it’s a matter of balance point at the index finger, weight distribution, battery size and hand grip location in respect to the driving plane. But, sometimes the marketing product manager will say, “can we give this next gen family a bit of attitude?” and one result can be a slight tip upward in the driving plane as though the drill is giving you a mad nod. :stuck_out_tongue: Those with a driving plane that is more perpendicular to the handle can look a bit lazy and boring.

The true force exerted when using a drill isn’t with the entire hand, it’s basically just the inner palm between the thumb and forefinger, and drills get twisted into all kinds of weird positions during actual use, so the handle itself becomes something to carry the drill with and something to steady the drill before and after actual use.

thank you for reply Scott, it seems most of cordless drill tend to maintain similiar angle. I noticed the value of an angle was bigger 6-10 years back then.

Is there any trendwatch appraoch involve while designing handheld cordless devices, drill and driver in particular?

I don’t think there are any trends for ergonomics. If it’s a trend then its more of a styling preference.
Just because it’s been done that way for years doesn’t mean its right. A lot of innovations or improvements are done when you start from scratch disregarding existing designs. Have you tried opening a couple of them up? See what’s inside? You’ll notice why they made some decisions.
Drills & drivers are used in very awkward ways so the best you can do (other than provide an adjustable angle handle) is to provide a standard starting angle. In theory you should apply pressure straight and from behind the bit in order to not go at an angle.
Maybe make your own prototype and play with the angles and have other people use it while you watch. Or simply get 3-4 different drills with different angle and see what people do and how they twist their hands during use.
Some of the changes may be due to smaller and lighter components. Mainly the battery. Have you research some corded electric drills?

Some basic ergonomics regarding tool design

It may be due to the realization over time that people are drilling in high places as much as they are drilling in lower places.
Did you find this consistent across brands?