Re: Is Nature the Best Desinger

November 13th, 2009, 1:10 am

asango
step four
step four
evolution is the ultimate form of prototyping.

November 15th, 2009, 9:11 am

SK
step three
step three
Hi Cameron,

Perhaps I see the same way. But what percentage of your colleges do you think would agree with such a perception ?

November 15th, 2009, 9:13 am

SK
step three
step three
asango wrote:evolution is the ultimate form of prototyping.
Interesting statement. But nature does not distinguish between final product and prototype ? Is it not constantly on the job working on in the product/pro-type/life ?

November 29th, 2009, 12:07 am

kwokpan
Coroflot: 298260
I think to a certain extent. Evolution deals with enormous data, some altered by random mutations while some are favoured in relation to its selection criteria, which is basically survival and sexual attractiveness. While that covers a lot of ground, like efficient use of energy etc. it is not exhaustive.

That said, this is quite a good website for resources regarding the design of nature, for designers -
http://asknature.org

August 9th, 2010, 6:46 am

nunoCR
step two
step two
If nature is the best designer, it is also the worst.
99% of all species (designs) that have existed have gone extinct.
Nature doesn't aim, it shots at random within certain limits.
What makes life the ultimate self-perpetuating mechanism is its diversity.
The Zeitgeist Movement
the best things in life are not things.

August 9th, 2010, 7:49 am

Mr-914
That aye-aye is interesting. Humans are pre-programmed to be drawn to large eyes. Hence, our love of dogs, cats and babies. It is thought that babies have large eyes to discourage the parents from killing it.

On to the meat of your question though. I think humans have sped up evolution in design. Evolution in animals and plants can be a quick process (thousands of years), but it's imprecise. Some things evolve quickly while obvious problems are ignored. I think it was Travismo that pointed out how the human pelvis has not yet completely evolved to support walking upright, hence, our many back problems. However, at the same time, our hands have evolved enormously and quite effectively. The big innovation was the opposable thumb, but I've read that evolutionary-biologists have evidence that the hand has continued to evolve to become more precise mechanically and in terms of feeling. At the same time, our pelvis has evolved just enough to let us stand upright, but not so much as to ease the pain of child birth (humans have the largest heads at time of birth compared to adulthood) nor back pain.

At the same time, design moves very quickly. In just the last thousand years, we've moved from stone to copper to bronze to iron and now beyond. We've moved from sun-baked bricks and wood to reinforced concrete. As humans, we have the ability to imagine massive changes (revolution) and not just evolution.

August 9th, 2010, 8:16 am

NURB
There are also theories out there that the original human gestation period was 12 months and not 9. If you look at how developed other mammals are (horses, chimps, etc.) they come out ready to walk, and require much less constant care than a week old infant. At 3 months most children can see and hear as well as adults, are starting to be able to hold their necks up under their own power and can move with a bit more ease.

Additionally, there are theories out there that suggest you can get through childbirth without feeling pain (something my wife and 99.9% of other women will disagree with, but never the less.) Not sure where I'm going with this this morning, maybe its because my son kept me awake most of last night so I'm a little delirious and wired on coffee...
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

August 13th, 2010, 10:39 am

ginrod
step two
step two
where i think nature incredibly shows its abilities is size. from the tiniest form of cells, to little living animals to giant trees. you can find a constant beauty in all creations about the functioning parts. i really like the comparison of a razor blade and a bugs claws, body or similar. observed under a microscope the to us so perfect looking blade is just a rough texture while nature keeps it forms down to a micro level.

on the other side, it evolves by misstakes. kind of. it doesn´t tackle problems, it just happens to find a solution because everything else failed or was eaten by the new one. i guess more often it is the eating or bullying by those.

August 13th, 2010, 1:41 pm

cg
full self-realization
full self-realization
NURB wrote:There is no question the answer is Yes. Why spend your time wondering about such a thing?
No.

The fact that the wheel doesn't exist in nature is a commonly cited example.

The fact that the human race is "living out of spec" of our evolution is also proof. Saying Yes suggests that the human species (or any species) couldn't be improved by design. I've got a long list of improvement opportunities--and science is already tackling them.

August 13th, 2010, 1:47 pm

cg
full self-realization
full self-realization
kmnet wrote:I personally believe that natural design process is superior in the sense that it takes thousands if not millions of years to achieve the results we have today, and it is still continuing to evolve. There is surely a lesson or two we can learn from its long process.
The victors write the history books.

Natural selection is amazing, but it's brutal--especially on such large timescales.
The body count is huge. Is that good design?

August 13th, 2010, 3:32 pm

nunoCR
step two
step two
NURB wrote:Additionally, there are theories out there that suggest you can get through childbirth without feeling pain (something my wife and 99.9% of other women will disagree with, but never the less.)
It can actually be painless and quite enjoyable it seems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5bm9-B6Ec4
The Zeitgeist Movement
the best things in life are not things.

August 19th, 2010, 7:41 am

Plank
nunoCR wrote:
NURB wrote:Additionally, there are theories out there that suggest you can get through childbirth without feeling pain (something my wife and 99.9% of other women will disagree with, but never the less.)
Have you ever seen a child being born!? :lol:

I believe mother nature will never reach the ultimate design (whether we're destined to be it or not) as the goal posts are constantly changing; changing because of humans manipulating the landscape to suit their needs, or through natural means. As far as I can fathom natural design is superior, but it has the advantage of not worrying about cost etc so can therfore launch as many products as it wishes until one diffuses.

August 19th, 2010, 10:48 am

NURB
nunoCR wrote:
I doubt that was painless...
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

August 19th, 2010, 2:31 pm

bennybtl
step four
step four
Nature appears to be the best designer only because you only see the best outcomes, everything else has died. It's scattershot, random and takes forever. Even if you could use some magic technology to speed up nature's process to occur within our lifetimes, how do you take into account the other parallel "design processes" which influence the outcome of all the adjacent ones? Nature is not a vacuum. I'd consider crowd sourced design as being a close approximation of the natural design process applied to human products in human context.

If I create 10 million piles of sticks, and attempt to sit on each one. The few that don't collapse or end up inside me are the best designs. Awesome. I'd rather build a chair.

August 19th, 2010, 2:41 pm

mpdesigner
step four
step four
Yes but peeing and pooping are a bit cumbersome and could use some more thinking. Maybe nature ran into a deadline on those?