NEED HELP

HI EVERYBODY,
I REALLY NEED HELP IN FOCUSING MY RESEARCH QUESTION FOR MY PHD, MY TOPIC IS TO INVOLVE THE INTERLACING PROPERTY INSPIRED FROM ISLAMIC STAR PATTERN IN IN TO TEXTILE ART.
I AM VERY DESPERATE CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE
:cry:

I’m not really sure what the question is. Can you post some of your work or background on the project? It might help us help you.

yes, please describe a bit further.

There is a chance I can help. A multi year side project has been to create parametric models of all Arabic geometrical patterns. Already, I have provided some information for textile, mural, and architectural applications.

thanks very much for the quick reply. please fined attached a photo for an interlaced pattern, the interlacing property is on of the characters of the Islamic star, i was planning to use this feature in the textile field and explore the concepts related to the interlacing like seeing through for example, my professor think that this project is suitable for art work only and not for research. he think that i have to finned a gap in knowledge first, while i see that it is difficult to finned it in such atopic. please if any body has an idea about the direction i can go through, let me know. thanks again

Hi,

I’m also doing a PhD, although in a very different area of design research. I found it useful, at the start of my study, to sit down and write out a few research questions and aims. What is it about your topic that really interests you? How can this area of interest help first define the context for your study and then inform your research aims? By aims I mean what it is about your study that you hope to find out - what question(s) will you try to answer.

I suspect your professor would like to first situate your study in a body of existing knowledge and then to take this and develop it in a way that is new and innovative - not easy - and I’m sure you already know all this. For example - what is it about the star’s design that makes it so interesting/powerful /emotive etc…?how can this be used to inform the application of this in a new context - what will happen if this is done?

Hope this helps.

James.
p.s: please take my survey: http://www.surveymethods.com/EndUser.aspx?D1F59984D69A8581