Need Feeback on Sketch

Here is a sketch that I just created…please provide feedback on the concept, the style, and the originality…or any other useful piece of info.Thanks!

Grah, that doesn’t even fit on my screen.

First comment: develop designerly writing – the extended block capitals you see on sketches everywhere. I can’t read the third word in the title (looks like “envoy” to me).

Second comment: get smooth paper and use a sharper pencil. Your lines are getting kind of fuzzy. Vary the line weight somewhat rather than using a single thickness.

third comment: get the perspective right. The (sole? bottom? Yo, help me out – whats the name for the part inside the shoe that the sole of your foot rests on? the floor?) is apparently heavily angled, which is a sprained or broken ankle waiting to happen.

Your proportions are also a little off, and your shading needs work – look at the way lights actualyl falls on things, pick a single light source (to start anyway), and shade from there.

That said, the concept has some merit…I’d keep working on it and turn it into something beautiful.

Olo-

Looking at the sketch I assume you haven’t started design school yet?
If you ARE in school, which one, and what level are you?

Well whatever the case, you have a lot to learn. My best advice to you to improve the sketching is to inroll in some design classes, to learn how to draw like a designer. This way, when we give advice on things like line-weight, perspective and shading, it won’t fall on deaf ears.

a nice try though, keep practicing!

Thank you both for taking the time to provide the feedback…I must admit it is a bit harder than I thought to hear the feedback from “insiders”; however, it is helpful. I am not in a design school but I am working towards getting into one. I have never taken a drawing course; I started one last Saturday though. I find that it is quite frustrating when a design/concept comes to mind but I am unable to effectively communicate it because of my lack of drawing skills. This is an area that I am working on improving…With that said I have a few questions I hope someone can shed some light on.

I have looked at a few websites that provide tutorials on perspective…I have read them but find that the further I go into them, I become lost. I tried to incorporate them in my sketch this weekend but got lost in drawing the horizon line, vanishing points and etc. Can someone recommend a very basic tutorial.

Also, I have a lot of work to do with the drawing but I would like some feedback on the concept of the design.

Lastly, I have become a bit unsure about my chances of getting into an associates program for accessory design - would be helpful to hear about how it was for those more advanced (telll me how it was for you when you applied to your first program)

I know this is long but I greatly appreciate the dialogue!

Ololade-
glad to see you’ve bounced back!

A few points to consider:

First off, criticism is always hard to take at first. You’ll get a LOT of it in school, and grow thicker skin. Just remember that your skills at this point don’t define your potential. Also your design doesn’t define your potential as a designer. A good designer will always put out a few crappy designs, and a crappy designer will get it right a few times. Once you distance yourself from you design, critiques come a lot easier.

1. don’t worry about perspective yet. You’ll take some of these when you get into a program (assuming it’s a good one). The good news is a lot of shoe designers get away without drawing a shoe in perspective. Try a side view, and maybe a top for your design, and people will get the picture. Also keep in mind a shoe is NOT an easy thing to draw in persp correctly. Start with something easier, until you understand it.

\
  2. I don’t know about a 2 year degree, but in my program, we didn’t have to show a portfolio until 2 years into the program. If your worried about getting in, your on the right track: take a few art courses, and I’m sure you’ll sail through.

hope this helps!~

a quick crit on the design~

First off, nice for a first try. You’ve done a good job of picking, and sticking to a theme. I think the heel section is new and fresh (take that with a grain of salt, as I don’t look into fashion much). However, the toe section needs updating.

Were you picturing this going with more of a ‘cozy’ outfit? I could see this with a full length dress, and maybe some sort of fuzzy animal around the shoulders. :wink: