sketches

the sketches that you guys post, are they the worked up from underlays? then you tighten them up. are can you sketch that good with out reworking the sketch?

As far as being a purist sketcher, it’s a beautiful thing to get a perfect sketch on the first shot, no doubt. I was taught to draw with a pencil, an eraser & a straight edge if you need to draw straight lines. I use overlays once in a while depending on what it is.

As far as the sketches that I post, in this day of “presentation is everything” I myself, feel no need to not take advantage of a little pixel pushin’ here and there. If I take the time to upload a file I might as well clone-out an icky area or two. I don’t think the stuff that I post is much different than what’s in my sketchbook.

No overlays in my sketchbooks, I only use overlays for tight professional renderings at work…

The sketch book is just freeflowing ideas, how every it comes out is what it is… Maybe touch it a bit in photoshop, but not much…

I have no problem going right over a line drawing with marker, if I f’it up whatever I can always do another…

Just keep drawing…

you sometimes need overlays, like when you want to show two perspectives colliding simultanuosly or other advanced stuff, but when you get good at it you’ll do it in one take because it will take too much time to set things up and it might come out looking more formal and professional in a sense but not natural.

my recommendation is to master your techniques and use them in a smart way even if its only for your own visualisation and understanding of the geometry.

if you spend too much time on sketching/overlaying you got a problem as a designer imo. designers should concentrate on design and the most efficient way to arrive at a concept.