Andy's "Sketch-a-few times a week"

The new direction:

And some chicken scratches while I was thinking about bent rod street furniture, which led to playing with a cad model and render.

I tried the same bench with the rods positioned horizontally, though I doubt it would hold any weight, and a different take on an impact-resistant planter for public spaces. Also a quick sneaker while I waited for a render.

Really intrigued by the steel rod and concrete planter design - I’d love to see different variations of that. It would compliment quite well in an urban environment like Chicago!

Thanks Linda!

There will be definitely be more explorations. I’ve been thinking about alternate options (to bollards) to secure public spaces since we had an incident here in Australia involving a car and a shopping mall.

I’ll render it in next to The Bean!

A light globe was a fun way to practice 3 materials at once

Impact planter scribbles

I was chatting to some ID students at a mid year work-in-progress event recently, and it got me thinking about my own sketches from my first year of study in 2010. As someone without natural drawing talent, I can happily say that you really can improve anything with practice. Here’s to another 10 years of progress :slight_smile:

Page 1 of my first sketching exercise from ID Studio 1.

Sneakers, blob chairs and a water filled planter.

Wood fire heaters

Scandinavia inspired wood heater. I’ve been sketching a lot of planar forms…the next will be with more complex surfaces!

Nice, I like the composition for the wood fire heaters (awesome form exploration there!) and seeing two views with the recent Scandinavian one. I think the highlights/edges look really good in the front view. With the sketch pages, I’d like to see some color pops along with more exploration on parts of some designs, like ideas for textures/patterns or quick back views of the shoes for example. This can be done call-out style too. IMO this will add more depth to the page and work the viewer around in an engaging way since this can help with hierarchy as well. I’m sure you know all of this anyway so keep it up. :slight_smile:

Thanks Linda! Love the idea for callouts, I’m sketching some backpacks so I’ll try it out :slight_smile:

Backpacks and folded lounges

Getting back into the sketching groove

Twisty power board to stop flexed cable stress when jammed up under a cabinet or desk

Andy, really nice composition on the wood heaters! I also really enjoyed the visual playfulness of the loungers. I notice you like to use a box to frame your pages and I like the execution where the sketches overlap said box (blob chair + backpacks) versus being all contained inside more (others). Overlap = visual interest for me personally.

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile: I agree on the borders, I’ve tried both styles now, and I prefer the overlap as well. I think it helps to pop the sketch out of the page.

Im tired of having handles fall off of my pots and pans, so I explored a couple of cast frying pans. The bottom sketch has a counterweighted handle and a front grip to help lifting when needed.

If my Magic Mouse had a shell that was actually comfortable to hold

I’m going through that right now. I hate to get rid of my apple mouse, but I think it might be time for one of these: