Andy's "Sketch-a-few times a week"

:smiley: It has pencil lines on it so it definately counts as a sketch.

Cantilever street bench made from bent stainless tube and charcoal powdered perf sheet.

High speed jet-powered hovercraft

Finally finished the twin jet hovercraft amongst some side projects and working my portfolio.

Working on form concepts for my next portfolio project - the stackable tech tower idea.

Ortho view of the first concept. I think simple forms with tight detailing is going to be the vibe for this project.

Top view of concept 1 with brushed metal ring separating fabric from slightly recessed control panel

Is this a speaker?

Not a dedicated speaker. It’s following on from this idea:

Stackable tech tower. Why do I always have to install another box with another plug when they could all just fit together?

The idea is to create a consumer level tech rack that can live unobtrusively in the home. The base and top would come as a package for power and controls, and then you can stack up modular units for whichever functions you need (router, wifi extender, switch, nas, smart speaker etc.).

Right now I have 4 or 5 different white boxes sitting around as independent units with cables and plugs everywhere, and it would be great if they could all be put together into one unit that I don’t have to keep in the dark corner of a room.

why stack them, why not have it all be one device?

Stacking makes the product flexible. If it’s all one package you can’t choose which functions you want, and you can’t change it later if you want to add or remove a function. If your router needs updating in 12 months for a new technology, you can change just that unit, rather than replacing the entire device.

Slightly exploded view of concept 1. I think the spacing between parts needed to be larger on this one.

Concept 2 is the most simple of the forms. It would really be no.1 in the basic-crazy scale. Playing with using cork as a ‘soft’ finish material. I’ve no idea if functional buttons can be formed into cork, but I like the idea.

So it’s been a long time since I’ve posted any sketches. I’ve been doing a lot of chicken scratches but not much in the way of presentable sketching. I sketched out these for the tech tower project before killing off the direction I was going in and starting again.

The new direction:

And some chicken scratches while I was thinking about bent rod street furniture, which led to playing with a cad model and render.

I tried the same bench with the rods positioned horizontally, though I doubt it would hold any weight, and a different take on an impact-resistant planter for public spaces. Also a quick sneaker while I waited for a render.

Really intrigued by the steel rod and concrete planter design - I’d love to see different variations of that. It would compliment quite well in an urban environment like Chicago!

Thanks Linda!

There will be definitely be more explorations. I’ve been thinking about alternate options (to bollards) to secure public spaces since we had an incident here in Australia involving a car and a shopping mall.

I’ll render it in next to The Bean!

A light globe was a fun way to practice 3 materials at once

Impact planter scribbles