Re: iPhone 4... thoughts?

July 25th, 2010, 2:30 pm

linda_dong
step three
step three
Coroflot: 237807
Cyberdemon wrote:Who wants to guess how much brain radiation that guy gets during the development phase? :wink: Maybe that's what caused that engineer to leave his phone in that bar...

We have similar test facilities but not nearly as much cool photography and dramatic lighting. The mechanical testing is way cooler IMO (smashing a product repeatedly from 6' is fun to watch..it's like putting your shorts in the dryer with the cell phone still in the pocket).
Well since Apple has never released pictures of their mechanical quality assurance facilities, all I can say is, "how the hell do you know?"
Trying to look good limits my life - Sagmeister
http://www.lindadong.com

July 25th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization
linda_dong wrote:
Cyberdemon wrote:Who wants to guess how much brain radiation that guy gets during the development phase? :wink: Maybe that's what caused that engineer to leave his phone in that bar...

We have similar test facilities but not nearly as much cool photography and dramatic lighting. The mechanical testing is way cooler IMO (smashing a product repeatedly from 6' is fun to watch..it's like putting your shorts in the dryer with the cell phone still in the pocket).
Well since Apple has never released pictures of their mechanical quality assurance facilities, all I can say is, "how the hell do you know?"
Sorry I was talking about our mechanical facilities, not Apples.

July 29th, 2010, 12:11 pm

GURU
step four
step four
Interesting video of timing the four generations of the iPhone by rebooting the phone and running intense apps

http://english.mashkulture.net/2010/07/ ... the-years/

July 29th, 2010, 3:04 pm

Mr-914
That is cool. The iP4 screen really stands out too.

July 29th, 2010, 7:54 pm

nxakt
full self-realization
full self-realization
Cyberdemon wrote:We have similar test facilities but not nearly as much cool photography and dramatic lighting. The mechanical testing is way cooler IMO (smashing a product repeatedly from 6' is fun to watch..it's like putting your shorts in the dryer with the cell phone still in the pocket).
It's clear you are talking about your own facility. I've worked with a few for testing helmets and sports equipment, it is really cool to see how much abuse the various designs can take. And the shock of seeing how hard a fake head in a helmet hits the test anvil. The interesting back story is how each machine and test gets developed. Somewhere in the manufacturing history was a problem of various proportions, some of them huge. Something broke, something fell off, something rusted, discolored, 40% of the product broke in a cold Swedish winter, etc. Each brand brings its own history and test methods and machines to the producers factory, testing to determine a specific strength. It is a part of the process that is typically well hidden from the end user. Phones seem to be getting more and more indestructible as time goes one though, the thinner they get, the better.