June 30th, 2009, 7:08 am

Bbarn
step four
step four
I remember seeing these a while back with the start of plastic leeching concerns. A nice take off of the classic glass bottle.

http://www.lifefactory.com/products/weegobottle.html

June 30th, 2009, 9:44 am

Scott Bennett
full self-realization
full self-realization
Cameron wrote:What about baby slings? My wife and I are considering holding off on a stroller for the first few months. Any sweet wrap/sling designs you guys could recommend?
This is the way to go in my opinion. We carried our daughter around in a pouch / sling for most of the first two years. So much easier than hauling a stroller around. We would literally go out to restaurants, parties, movies, whatever, and she would just sleep away. Later on when they get bigger they can sit up in it, and you can actually talk to them. We almost never used our two expensive strollers (a Quinny Buzz and Zapp, imported from Holland before you could buy them here).

Unfortunately sling design tends to mostly follow the hippy aesthetic, so we made our own. I used a pouch, which is just fabric sewn into a loop. I had two made, one from a lightweight black synthetic material for the summer, and one the same, but with a cotton flannel lining for cold weather. The lightweight one was awesome because it was thin enough to stuff in a pocket. I still haven't seen anything as nice available for sale. The "dad" slings tend to be made from ugly ass materials.

The big variable on a pouch is the length, if you get it too long the kid will be bouncing off your knees. You also need to be careful of using really stretchy material (and I've even seen this on commercially available pouches), because it will sag over a hour or so.

My wife had a couple of slings made. We ordered some anodized aluminum rings and she found some vintage fabric she liked. I think there are better choices now than there were 4 years ago, but the nice ones can be pretty expensive.

June 30th, 2009, 10:56 am

VanDeBar
step three
step three
This chair from Age design looks more like a nice piece of furniture than a kids chair. I like the fact that you can reverse the chair for adjustment.

cg
full self-realization
full self-realization
This was posted on the Core77 clogger today as a "Super design-y high chair":

According to the post it was designed by the respected firm SeymourPowell

But I wanted to share the one I bought a few months ago by Bloom:

Cooincidence? Well, anyway, the Bloom chair looks and works great--highly recommended!
cg
full self-realization
full self-realization
Another great baby product is the Safety1st Air Protect which looks great and also protects against side impact. Apparently its exclusive to Babys-R-Us.

Here's my 6 month old daughter in it. She loves it!
Claire.jpg
Claire.jpg (105.24 KiB) Viewed 2702 times
LayLay
cg wrote:Coincidence? Well, anyway, the Bloom chair looks and works great--highly recommended!
Bloom has some really cool stuff, like this Baby Lounger:

Bbarn
step four
step four
sanjy009
full self-realization
full self-realization
It's interesting to see local influences with baby products. The internet has made it very easy to see what things are used to raise babies in other parts of the world, whereas in the past you'd use what your parents used on you.

My daughters loved the jolly jumper:
http://www.jollyjumper.com.au
probably because I had one.

A great book of current kids products is "Designed for Kids":
http://www.thamesandhudsonusa.com/new/fall08/551413.htm

After reading it I bought some 'kipiis'- genius (though they clip itself needs to be a bit stronger):
http://www.kipiis.com/bibclips.php

And the Trunki is great to:
http://www.trunki.co.uk/
(also because of the guys success in the face of scorn on the TV show "Dragons Den"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/mark ... e-bag.html)

The prams that convert into car seats aren't readily available in Australia (I think there is a Chicco one now). Even though this style is great the weight capacity really limits it. My one year old is 13kg, was 4kg at birth and these only go up to 9-11kg. Before a year you'll have to buy a new pram and a new car seat- though with baby products parents/ grandparents will buy anything at almost any price.

About car seats- in the book "Freakanomics" they state the lives saved from mandatory baby car seats isn't from advances in safety in baby car seat design, it's from puting kids in the back seat and buckling them up, rather than what it used to be like in the bad-old-days of having a baby rolling around unrestrained on your lap in the front seat.
Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization
cg wrote:This was posted on the Core77 clogger today as a "Super design-y high chair":

According to the post it was designed by the respected firm SeymourPowell

But I wanted to share the one I bought a few months ago by Bloom:

Cooincidence? Well, anyway, the Bloom chair looks and works great--highly recommended!
Wow, I wonder how it happened that those look so much alike?

It reminds me of this one from FuseProject in 2008 - almost looks like the concept model for both of those 09 products
cg
full self-realization
full self-realization
Travisimo wrote:It reminds me of this one from FuseProject in 2008 - almost looks like the concept model for both of those 09 products
Oh very cool!

It looks like the child is supposed to be held in place by suction!
Cameron
full self-realization
full self-realization
cg wrote:
Travisimo wrote:It reminds me of this one from FuseProject in 2008 - almost looks like the concept model for both of those 09 products
Oh very cool!

It looks like the child is supposed to be held in place by suction!
Somebody call Mr. Dyson, new adjacent space for him!
Cameron Nielsen
Ooblec Design Studio | LinkedIn | Personal Site
'There is an inherent intelligence to beauty' - Dori Tunstall
designdesigndesign
The bloom chair has been out for several years, but I think the brothermax one has just been announced. There have been various incarnations of highchair knockoffs since bloom's, but none of them have been very successful so it still is the standard 'modern' high chair. seymourpowell is fairly well respected and it doesn't seem likely that they would do something like this. Looking at the photos, it sure does look like they are very similar. At least the fuseproject chair isn't a total knockoff...
Mr-914
I have to say, I like the Seymour Powell much more than the Bloom. I prefer the base being just one big clean part. Also, the way the seat is attached is far less busy. It seems as though the Bloom would be more adjustable, but I don't know how much of an improvement that is. Lastly the table looks easier to clean (less part lines) and more integrated in the design.
guest1000
step one
step one
The recline is useful for the baby before a year old since they can't sit in a regular high chair until about 6 months or so. There isn't really any convenient place to put babies except in their crib. All other products are on or near the floor, so during the first months it's a pretty nice way to keep an eye on baby and have it in a more stimulating family environment rather than imprisoned in the baby room. It was supposedly designed after noticing that there aren't many places to put a baby, so parents are either holding them or put them away in their room.
cg
full self-realization
full self-realization
My wife discovered Plan Toys recently, and we got our daughter some neat toys for Christmas. They have a HUGE catalog of nice wooden toys.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage