Shoe Design: Sketch to Prototype

Want to hear the single most 100% real, constructive and harsh critique of your life? Buckle up.

Is this single sketch the only thing that you have to show and tempt people to donate?

A) The sketch is bad. Very bad. This is the only thing you have to advertise your idea with (along with a poorly worded description). Since this is all you have, your sketch had better be jaw dropping amazing. It isn’t.
B) What motive are you presenting people to donate to you, other than “please”? Usually, with Kickstarter, you offer people something back for their money. In this case, I’m just donating to your pocket so you can have something? I think I’ll keep my $20.
C) Have you done any research whatsoever into this at all? I am 100% sure you haven’t, but let’s pretend I’m wrong. List 10 manufacturing processes (and the materials) which are necessary for the manufacture of this shoe. Even if you use Google for this, you’ll have already done more work than you already have done.
D) How did you arrive at the cost of $3,000? Is this what ShoePrototypes.com quoted you at? A shoe prototype does not cost $3,000. Sure, it can cost $3,000. But for this project, it won’t.

Description from one of the links (the other link is a dead end, simply takes you to a login screen):
“I find myself unprepared to start a company, but creating a prototype is vital for this project to continue. Help me create a physical pair to put into the hands of investors and eventually onto the feet of customers.”

Let’s break this down…

“I find myself unprepared to start a company,”
-OK, so you are unprepared to start a company. Understood. Starting a company involves all that hard stuff like working. Who would ever want to do that? Sounds real tough with different things and stuff involved.
“but creating a prototype is vital for this project to continue.”
-But, you say you want to make a prototype. OK, got it. Generally, people create prototypes in order to test it, refine it, and then go to production. Otherwise, its called a piece of artwork, a one off, which is not being considered for production. So since you don’t want to start a company
“Help me create a physical pair to put into the hands of investors and eventually onto the feet of customers.”
-Then you go on to say you want to put this prototype in front of investors and onto the feet of customers… which leads us to believe, you’d be starting a company. Or would you be giving these sneakers away for free?

Someone has got to speak some reality here. This is a perfect example of terrible. It couldn’t be worse. Let me clarify, I never discourage people or put down the abilities of others. Some people can sketch really really well, some are only OK, some practice hard. This issue here is there is absolutely zero effort put into it. I have no experience whatsoever with baking cakes from scratch. But I bet I could create a better fundraiser within 60 minutes which somehow is related to me baking cakes and asking for strangers’ money. I find the lack of effort embarrassing.

No.

Absolutely no.