mmheel1.jpg (23.34 KiB) Viewed 5559 times

Re: Sketch-Fu: Women's Footwear

February 26th, 2010, 9:05 am

dziner82
step four
step four
arff23 wrote:First one ever....
arff23,
if that is meant to be a toepost sandal then your toepost is way to far forward, needs to be brought back a bit.
And not enough shape in your forepart area of the pattern, the vamp should have more of a concave curvature and not be so high off the sole. A women's heeled sandal will have much different proportions at the forefoot than a basketball shoe.

nice to see you attempting womens though.

February 28th, 2010, 12:43 pm

arff23
step two
step two
^Thanks for the feedback..

March 5th, 2010, 2:34 am

ppadilla
step three
step three
Decided to try my hand at women's footwear myself. Here are some rough blue pencil ideations and a quick ballpoint/photoshop rendering of a women's fashion boot. The focus was to design a unique visual using negative spaces in the boot upper. Around 1-1.5 hrs total. It was nice to switch things up a bit.

Phil Padilla
Instagram
LinkedIn

March 5th, 2010, 7:06 am

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
nice Phil!

March 5th, 2010, 9:00 am

dziner82
step four
step four
yo wrote:nice Phil!
agreed.
i like the stacked heel element you carried up the rear counter area.

March 5th, 2010, 10:28 am

arff23
step two
step two
Nice phil..I thought that was actually a Dittullo sketch before I looked at the name...

March 7th, 2010, 12:43 am

skinny
full self-realization
full self-realization
arff23 wrote:Nice phil..I thought that was actually a Dittullo sketch before I looked at the name...
I was about to say the exact same thing. You're using similar lines that he uses and blue pencil technique, could easily be confused for a d2lo.

March 7th, 2010, 8:07 am

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
hey, hey, not a bad thing... I didn't invent the blue pencil look, far from it, I robbed it off others. I'm not trying to reinvent the sketching wheel. While the shapes are sporty and dynamic, it's not like they riff off of anything in particular. I think they look great Phil.

March 7th, 2010, 12:31 pm

ppadilla
step three
step three
Thanks guys. I don't want to dwell on anything here besides sketches, but one post I always remember is this one below, from the "Vintage Concept Sketches" thread in the sketching forum:
olliewagner:
Are these styles still appropriate for a student to use now-a-days?
yo:
a drawing is about communicating an idea. I think the style should be dependent on what communicates your concept the most efficiently (both in terms of time and impact)
I think it's very important to experiment with other designers' styles, and then mix and match to see what works best for you, to communicate your ideas. For me, shading with the side of a blue pencil is the most efficient way to communicate volume and form, especially in quick ideation sketches like the ones in my previous post. I will admit that I learned it from Michael, but again, I don't see any wrong in that, as I have found it to be a very fast way to communicate my ideas on paper. At the end of the day, it's about the idea/design behind the product-- although sketches are an important part, they are just a small portion of the process to designing a good product.

Anyway, I have been working on a more finalized rendering of my concept. I'll post when finished to keep this thread goin...
Phil Padilla
Instagram
LinkedIn

April 25th, 2010, 10:05 pm

corporalnc_23
step two
step two
Recent sketches for a recent design contest for Hush Puppies. Enjoyed working on the project.
HP_Contest_M_M.jpg
HP_Contest_M_M.jpg (112.17 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
HP_Contest_M_M_1.jpg
HP_Contest_M_M_1.jpg (105.96 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
HP_Contest_M_M_2.jpg
HP_Contest_M_M_2.jpg (137.18 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
M. Martinez
--------------

http://www.coroflot.com/mmartinez

"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste." Duchamp

April 25th, 2010, 10:09 pm

corporalnc_23
step two
step two
Some additional sketches I had done, and a final overall rendering.
HP_Contest_M_M_3.jpg
HP_Contest_M_M_3.jpg (109.02 KiB) Viewed 5279 times
HP_Contest_M_M_4.jpg
M. Martinez
--------------

http://www.coroflot.com/mmartinez

"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste." Duchamp

April 26th, 2010, 7:57 am

dziner82
step four
step four
corporalnc_23 wrote:Some additional sketches I had done, and a final overall rendering.
mike,
saw your submission, was a very nice render and a cool shoe. Although after seeing your sketches i likes some of your heeled stuff a bit more, where you ended up is similar to much of the women's sport fusion stuff we have done, you have a few really nice heeled shoes in there that may have been more unexpected. But thats only my opinion, what you had was really nice though, it definitely caught my eye.
fallon

Sorry for the photograph, my scanner is broken!

Hi everyone!
I'm a fourth year industrial design student from Australia!
On completion of my study, I am aiming to do my post-graduate study in footwear design at Polimoda and live and work in the industry in Italy/wider Europe.
I look forward to learning through your comments and criticisms!

Bianca
crewkid
step four
step four
Bianca: very nice drawing. maybe you can show us some other view. it it hard to get the total picture of you design from this angle. it is important to use angles that show off the unique feature of your shoe (or any product for that matter).