Re: Sketch-Fu: Womens (Footwear)

November 20th, 2009, 10:49 pm

J1N
To Joe:
Thanks for advice, I felt the same way and I've started to sketch out a surface area first and then the shoe on top of it and it is helping the proportions look more real

Current shoe design I'm making
port_0007.jpg

November 21st, 2009, 10:20 am

Sole Glo Joe
step one
step one
Coroflot: 3101986
Looks better. I'd work on cleaning up your lines, they look very "hairy". It's something I'm working on as well. I was told to stop drawing with my wrist, and use my entire fore arm, it's helped. Also for the whole perspective thing, making an axis or a box can help.

December 2nd, 2009, 7:53 pm

B
step three
step three
It's really nice to see some womens dress on here! dziner82: your sketches are brilliant, i think you did a great job. I'd really like to improve my sketching but it's always really tough to get feedback or tips. I'd like to give this a more realistic feel to it, maybe add some more dimension but am unsure how. Ideas? :roll:
OLD-BOOTshaded.jpg

December 15th, 2009, 8:14 am

J1N
To Joe:
Yeah I know what you mean, I normally just rough sketch everythin then render it on ps (most of my designs are sneakers) but I do think I have to clean up my sketches either way, and thanks for the wrist/arm advice I felt the same and it does make a difference
Here's the finished product of my last design (wanted to use a metal pin heel, but the heels I found didn't fit wit my last), I just finished makin it today
IMG_8930(2).jpg

December 15th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Sole Glo Joe
step one
step one
Coroflot: 3101986
Glad I was able to help, design looks good. Add some more stuff, this post has been dead lately.

December 16th, 2009, 2:54 pm

corporalnc_23
step two
step two
Womens Footwear...Causal footwear for a college student; Florida Gator Colorway...
M. Martinez
--------------

http://www.coroflot.com/mmartinez

"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste." Duchamp

December 17th, 2009, 10:13 am

dziner82
step four
step four
corporalnc_23 wrote:Womens Footwear...Causal footwear for a college student; Florida Gator Colorway...
mike,
work with the envelope distort tool in Ai to get that mesh to not look so flat, its really hurting this rendering. also the overall proportions are off a bit, the heel is leaning back too much, and the topline of the mesh is too high.

Good work on doing something different though :) , concept is cool and i like some of the details you have on here. There is a shoe we have here that has very similar proportions to what i think you are going for. If i can find one ill take a snapshot and try to overlay it on your rendering to better illustrate what i said above.

December 17th, 2009, 10:30 am

dziner82
step four
step four

here you can see where your heel shape is tailing off too much. your forepart strap is good placement, but then you have no toe shape there. a good rule of thumb in a shoe rendering is to never use straight lines when defining the shape of the upper. also you can see that your mesh liner is too high at the ankle bone area, you probably want to take it down (or shape it) about 10mm so that its not rubbing on the ankle bone.

i know you cant see very well cuz its an overlay, but the outsole on this shoe is pretty much identical to what you are going for on yours, only difference is that it has a part that comes up the side at the ball area, so its a good reference for your shoe.

December 17th, 2009, 3:24 pm

corporalnc_23
step two
step two
Alan,

I just made some quick fixes...

Still can't figure out the envelope distort tool...What commands are typically used with envelope distort? I've tried a few, but I cannot get it to look right.

Mike
36.jpg
36.jpg (68.45 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
M. Martinez
--------------

"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste." Duchamp

December 17th, 2009, 4:32 pm

dziner82
step four
step four
corporalnc_23 wrote:Alan,

I just made some quick fixes...

Still can't figure out the envelope distort tool...What commands are typically used with envelope distort? I've tried a few, but I cannot get it to look right.

Mike
mike,
i think there is is sticky thread in the footwear section about envelope distort you can read, i think its in the rendering thread towards the end of it. kinda hard to explain, but i could show you how to use it as well. 8)

December 17th, 2009, 4:33 pm

dziner82
step four
step four
i was wrong.. its in the one called photoshop/illustrator textures.

December 18th, 2009, 1:40 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
Work on that line work, everything looks wavy, bent. Get those lines to be more true and straight, and to either be parallel or to control how the forms taper. Also, all of your shading is in the midfoot of the shoe, but the toe is completely flat. BUT, first and foremost, I'd recommend doing a lot more sketching. Is this really the best design solution you can do?

December 18th, 2009, 2:26 pm

melovescookies
step four
step four
rainboots w/ sock inserts from a couple of years ago.
79.jpg

December 18th, 2009, 3:05 pm

corporalnc_23
step two
step two
yo wrote:Work on that line work, everything looks wavy, bent. Get those lines to be more true and straight, and to either be parallel or to control how the forms taper. Also, all of your shading is in the midfoot of the shoe, but the toe is completely flat. BUT, first and foremost, I'd recommend doing a lot more sketching. Is this really the best design solution you can do?

I can see what your saying (Wavy appearnce)...Now, I can after you mentioned it; I can see it in the top line of the shoe where the mesh is and in the stitching. I see a big difference in the toe up and the heel area (heel is really flat and the toe is curved). I knew about the shading...all in the midfoot and not on the toe. Trying to get the gradients right, maybe I should take into photoshop, sketchbook pro, painter.

It's not the best design solution...your right, your right...
M. Martinez
--------------

December 18th, 2009, 6:34 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
Always remember, design first, rendering second. I'd rather see 10 great pencil sketches then one cruddy rendering.