Re: Sketch-Fu: Men's Footwear

August 3rd, 2010, 6:26 am

joy4uall
step one
step one
Some more open type leather footwear. They were manufactured for some brands couple of years back (I don’t remember the name) .
Picture10.jpg
Picture10.jpg (57.96 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
Picture9.jpg
Picture9.jpg (43.32 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
Picture8.jpg
Picture8.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 1809 times

August 4th, 2010, 9:02 am

dziner82
step four
step four
shuphrk88 wrote:Keeping it simple in terms of design when learning new rendering tricks with a Zoom 95/96 hybrid. Finally managed to do a rendering using only Illustrator. Kind of slow at first, but I can definitely see how it would be more efficient than jumping between AI and PS.

The one thing I keep having trouble with is figuring out how to do a pattern like the mesh in the new balance render I grabbed from counterkicks. Any tips? I get close, but I can't get a realistic looking mesh.
I like that you attacked the old zoom flight shoes, i still have a pair of the originals at home, that outsole will always be tied to the image of brent barry from the free throw line for me!

i feel like the outsole design is not very much of a move on from the old one, more of just a nudge. Same with the upper, i think you did not create a show that i like more than the original, which can be hard to do with the classics. But like YO always says, try to keep on pushing the designs so that they look new and fresh.

also would look at your proportions, this rendering is VERY thick at the forepart area. and looks like it needs more curvature up the vamp. Right now it looks too :slicked back".

on the mesh... best way is to just scan in a real mesh swatch, or thats what i do at least.

August 4th, 2010, 10:19 am

shuphrk88
step three
step three
I totally agree that I could have pushed for a more progressive design. Looking at the original Zoom Flights I was really attracted to the details in the midsole, so I wanted to try to recreate those details using Illustrator. In the future, I will definitely make this a design exercise as well as learning rendering techniques.
I'd rather fail than to have never tried
www.coroflot.com/bartliang

August 4th, 2010, 1:00 pm

joy4uall
step one
step one
Can any body please give some idea about current leather footwear trend in USA and Europe market.

August 5th, 2010, 8:12 am

dziner82
step four
step four
shuphrk88 wrote:I totally agree that I could have pushed for a more progressive design. Looking at the original Zoom Flights I was really attracted to the details in the midsole, so I wanted to try to recreate those details using Illustrator. In the future, I will definitely make this a design exercise as well as learning rendering techniques.
cool man. doing stuff like that is always good for practice, but if you want to put something on here or get peoples attention try something really fresh or unexpected... what if you took that great classic outsole and interpreted it into a sandal?? or something cleated?? those are the kinds of things i think we need to see more of on here.

August 6th, 2010, 3:17 am

billymenut
step four
step four
I did this image testing my new macbookpro...easier and faster than my last pc...no more than a couple of hours from skething to uploading in here.

Regards.

August 6th, 2010, 7:04 am

joy4uall
step one
step one
Hi All
I gave a serious look in to this forum very recently though I did my registration long back. As I am looking at the work of various designers through their post and portfolios I came to know that the footwear designer of the western world are equipped with highly impressive skill set and cutting edge technology. I passed out from a footwear design school in India and worked in the industry for some time. But no where I could see such level of excellence in the product development stage. The digital rendering and detailing of the virtual product looks really great.
It’s been 3 years now since I left the industry and engaged into CAD CAM to make orthopedic products. But after looking at the works I have so much impressed that I am feeling like re-sharpening my skills and learn new techniques. Hence I would expect your help and precious guidance.
I have already started practicing freehand sketching since I am out of practice. I never did digital rendering but worked with coral draw and Photoshop (not extensively). Can somebody please suggest about the software I should learn for rendering.
I believe graphical pen tablet has got a big role to do with the skills. Can you suggest about a good tablet for the job.
I know it is not an easy task while working with a 9 hour job. But I will be happy if I could get some percentage of such excellence.
Best regards.
Joy

August 6th, 2010, 8:57 am

choto
Coroflot: 249781
Hey Joy

For a starter tablet I would recommend picking up one of the 10x6 monoprice tablets.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

They are insanely cheap ($40USD) compared to a comparable Wacom (a similar sized Intous will run $300+) . Their specs are more than adequate for most digital rendering, the pen takes a replaceable AAA battery but it lasts for months, and I actually like the added weight over the normal Wacom pens. If you're looking for a good entry into working with a tablet I think it's the best option out right now. Wacoms are great but insanely overpriced because they have no strong competitors at the moment.

As far as software I think most people here are working in Photoshop, Illustrator or Sketchbook pro. There are rendering techniques that only use a mouse, where you use paths to define areas. But if you want to sketch digitally you'll definitely need a tablet.

For starters check out these great tutorials:

Rkuchinsky's tutorial:
http://www.firstpullover.com/2007/01/fo ... orial.html

Yo's tutorial:
http://www.michaelditullo.com/Design/FO ... ENDER.html

Also check out http://www.idsketching.com there are some great video tutorials that go over some of the basics of digital workflows.

Good luck, and keep posting your progress!

August 6th, 2010, 1:16 pm

joy4uall
step one
step one
Hey Choto,

Thank you very much. That’s a great help.

Wacoms are readily available in stores in India but even at higher price than what you said. The medium size Intous is available at Rs. 21,280 (425 USD). I am trying to figure out whether monoprice tablet is shippable to India or not. But for sure that wacom will give ready after sell service which will be a great advantage.

Illustrator and Sketchbook pro will be new for me. I have to work hard. And again thanks for the links of the tutorials.

Regards,

Joy

August 6th, 2010, 1:30 pm

joy4uall
step one
step one
couple of recent freehand sketches done with markers. Hand stitched leather footwear...
Picture 042-L.jpg
Picture 042-L.jpg (56.81 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
Picture 044-L.jpg
Picture 044-L.jpg (60.64 KiB) Viewed 1574 times

August 8th, 2010, 5:23 pm

JohnPeterson
Coroflot: 283519
basketball shoe concept i came up with

August 9th, 2010, 10:56 am

arff23
step two
step two
Messing around with a new tablet...
jordanunc1.jpg
jordanunc1.jpg (35.65 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
jordan1.jpg
jordan1.jpg (88.56 KiB) Viewed 1463 times

August 9th, 2010, 12:07 pm

GURU
step four
step four
John,

Good start on you design. Step ONE in footwear design is getting your proportions correct. Rendering a shoe a a great skill to know but, in many footwear companies the design process never gets that far. A good trick to get you on the right track is tracing the silhouette over an existing shoe.....
nike-jordan-flight-45-hi-white-spice-1-1.jpg
nike-jordan-flight-45-hi-white-spice-1-1.jpg (51.34 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

August 9th, 2010, 12:39 pm

billymenut
step four
step four
Getting bored on the beach....

August 9th, 2010, 4:48 pm

Q4857
step three