three wheeled scooter?

May 15th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Mr-914
Hot on the heals of our 3 wheeled car discusion comes news that Piaggio has developed a 3 wheeled scooter. For those in the states, Piaggio is the company behind the iconic Vespa scooter.

What does everyone think? Does thing have a chance to breath new life into light urban transport outside of Milan?

Check the well done site at:

http://www.mp3.piaggio.com/

May 21st, 2006, 3:48 pm

Lmo
Safety - The Piaggio MP3 requires far less braking space than any scooter - the three-disc braking system and exceptional front end road holding reduce braking space by 20 per cent compared to the best scooters
Stability - The front assembly, with two independent tilting wheels, is far more stable than any scooter. The Piaggio MP3 grips the road even when tailing other vehicles, providing top performance in total safety.
Two front wheels
a REVOLUTIONARY CONCEPT

Piaggio has come up with another revolutionary product: the Piaggio MP3.

A totally innovative three-wheeler with two front wheels. Power. Performance and ease of use make for a very entertaining ride.
BULLSHIT... Morgan never existed?

This is ...

1) A Vespa that doesn't need a center stand.
2) A Vespa for aging 'Boomers'
3) A purging of Piagg'o's parts bins
4) A blatant 'cashing-in-on' of the 'MP3' tradename
5) A consumer's maintenance nightmare

Other than an 'entertaining ride' I don't see much merit here and
I find Piaggio's claim 'when tailing other vehicles, providing top performance in total safety' to be negligent and misleading.

They'll sell the crap out of them here in the States; we're suckers for anything that burns gasoline, especially if it's 'cute'.
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

May 21st, 2006, 10:22 pm

purplepeopledesign
step four
step four
I was checking this out the other day also and I am left wondering what happens when the electro-hydraulic balance system fails. I'm sure the Tilting Three Wheeler group on Yahoo is having a ball with this one right now. Come to think of it, I'm a lurking member there... I'll report back anything good.

:)ensen.

EDIT:

So I've found out that the balancing system is intended to be activated by the rider when decelerating to a stop. It checks a number of parameters to determine when to engage after the "on" button has been pushed. It automatically dis-engages when the machine hits a certain speed and certain other conditions have been met. IOW, it's supposed to be smart, which doesn't give me any confidence in it's failure modes.

J.
Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it.

May 22nd, 2006, 8:44 pm

Lmo
A third wheel just adds weight, complexity, and reduces rider feedback...

June 10th, 2006, 3:15 am

SpaceCadet
step two
step two
I agree. I designed a trike while in school, but it was for children. Adults don't look quite as cool or effecient on a 3-wheeler.

I can't see these taking of in the states, but what do i know?
Imagination is more important than knowledge