Wow.... I mean...wow!

Here’s a link to cardesignnews:
http://www.cardesignnews.com/features/2004/050429hongik-show/index.php

It’s the student show of Honk-ik Uni in Korea. I have to say I’ve never been impressed like this before. I don’t care if the models are machined or hand-built, they look absolutely awesome. The attention to details and material break up is amazing, and definitely puts US trans schools to shame.

They look like what the masters students from European schools will produce, and who says Korean cars are ugly?!

I don’t think there’s any car in the show that I dislike. Some are more interesting than others, but overally nicely proportioned and pleasing looking.

Asian schools are very well funded these days. I visited several schools on a trip to Taiwan and did speeches. It was eye opening and I saw how much equipment they had first hand. Students were also quite diligent and work hard. They were very polite and eager to get better.

Korea is doing especially well. Samsung is giving Sony a run for its money.

The problem with Taiwan is students, namely product design, don’t do models by hand. They either send out their models to be machined or the school does it. No foam hacking like we do here. Their understanding for form is restricted by the softwares they use. Most of them are expert in CAD or p-shop, but you can tell that many of them struggle in the design itself.

Funny thing is I was at this company for 2 months. All the designers are young, probably graduated 2~3 years ago, can’t really sketch, great with photoshop and know little CAD, not to mention foam hacking. They’ve got another team of people to do Alias and ProE. Their motorcycle design dept does clay and fiberglass. 2D work are done on photoshop again. Most of those who can sketch really well are those who studied abroad.

Well funded? Maybe, but I don’t think students get sponsored like that.

Ok, I was impressed with the models put out by the korean school, but I am more impressed by the designs. I can only say I like most of them, which is rare from many of the recent school shows from those supposedly top notch schools.

CCS seniors are doing pick-up trucks. Let’s wait and see how that turns out.

sweet asimetrical turbo bump/air intake on the black nissan.

I need to become a member to cardesignnews some day, I’m gonna go blind trying to see the details in the little images :confused:

I will concur with the shortcomings of the Asian, particularly Tiawanese design education. From my standpoint, as an architect, I see alot of students fro South East Asia who havent a clue about design, but are amazing in 3-d rendering programs and machine model making. Is the design culture sellign out to a culture supported by the tech industry?

From my contact with the locals, and from both an instructor and student there, there are many problems with the education.

1. Most of the full time faculties are not professionals, so they have no idea what is needed out there. One even told me that his instructor said “Sketching skill is no longer as significant”

2. Lack of emphasis on process. They just want to see the result, that’s why they like to use illustrator or photoshop to do ortho renderings, and that’s why they lack ability in form development. This has a lot to do with the tech driven economy since most of the products they do are basically flat.
    The students don’t do much models themselves. They usually send it out to be machined, so there goes hands on form development again. Ergonomics suffers as well.

3. I haven’t seen much on research based school projects. Obviously every student wants to do cool looking projects, like scootors and so on. Therefore the emphasis on user is limited.

4. Like you said, most of the projects Taiwanese design firms get are electronic products. Furthermore, they don’t get to develop it, merely shell design over existing architecture, so there isn’t much freedom to improve a product. It’s more cost driven than anything. Clients don’t value design, they just want something cheap to complete the package. They don’t care about the concept, as long as they can make it onto the shelves in time within budget.

These don’t just pertain to Taiwanese schools, but from China, Singapore etc. They’ve got the money, but they need to be willing to spend it.

i love to one seater pug…

my favorite, by far the most unique.

Car design seems like design masturbation. -Do we see any pictures of users here? I’m sure there is design validation somewhere but it seems that the these car designs are all judged by the quality of their models and paint-jobs. These images are great for other designers to use as inspiration but are they really great solutions for driving?

I love a good flashy car design as much as the next guy - and in that sense these are cool. I just find it a bit amusing how much attention car designers get. If only medical equipment designers could be so fortunate…

Is that where you get your satisfaction from?

It’s just a difference in style guest. To make a sports analogy, car designers are like the high-scoring forwards in hockey (think Lemieux or Gretzky). Medical device designers are more like a good defense man or goalie, you don’t notice them unless they screw up…and it is rare that they get the credit or attention they deserve.

Sometimes that is a good thing though. We un-sexy designers get to slave away on our designs rather than deal with journalists and PR people all day.

In my opinion, the Korean students exhibited how talented they can be, in technical term. Their model is just as good as the European students (American students cant model anymore, don’t know why), sketch looks great too… So, as far as design breakthrough, not from where I’m sitting.
I think it is important these days to educate the students ‘correctly’. Letting student do open wheels, ‘weird’ surfaces just don’t mean a damn thing if there isn’t proper reason to back it up, ex, aerodynamics, weight distribution, etc.
If I was a director at a car company and I see that work, I wouldn’t hire anyone. The reality is, there are plenty of designer who can sketch like there is no tomorrow. And who has plenty of fresh ideas. Hiring a student wouldn’t be easiest route to take to get the team going. Maybe replace the whole marketing or ME team would do the trick?
Look at most of the automotive industry. Every car company has showed ability to design nice looking ‘concept’ car, but only few could make a good-looking production car. I doubt its designers fault either…

Anyway, I really think student should incorporate some aspect of ‘real world design’ into their work. Ex, bumper height, bumper shut line… Also, consider how the people inside the car feel and sees. pillar as thick as a tree trunk just don’t do justice aint it? for concept? not even close.

not to sound like hater, but thats just reality check for those students and for those of you on the board. I was there doing exactly the same thing and I wish my professor gave me more restrains…design education IS about getting students ready for the real world, isn’t it?

All depends where you work and what the company “core” is.
At my studio I had several ‘concept’ work done for major international brand that is willing and has the technology to create breakthrough products, so it really doesn’t matter which country you work if you ask me.

As for students, Taiwan students are doing better each year IMO. The annual student design show that showcases design students from all over the country really has great stuff to offer. The show is also very large and covers all fields of art and design, and as an American educated designer myself, I must say I am often impressed by how well the design, presentation, concepts are displayed. If you get a chance, come and see it. This year’s exhibition will be open this Friday.

AS for students sending their model out to model shop, it is kind of strange to me at first I admit, but after you’ve been in the industry, you will begin to appreciate a precise and well-detailed CNC build models. If people can manipulate surface behind the tube, so be it. Nothing wrong with that. Volvo is ALL digital and their car looks great. Just matter of knowing how to use the tool “properly”. ex. building a model using only bi-rail and square in Alias doesn’t mean you KNOW the software.

Don’t take my comments negatively. I just feel as a Taiwanese designer yourself, you shouldn’t talk-down to the industry. Design exists to assist company making profit, that’s the truth. some company are more advanced and develops new products with new user experience, like Ipod, that’s great, but that’s a once in a decade thing. not gonna happen often. Design also exists in different form under different industry. For Taiwan and China, its manufacture and EE/ME. so design has to make sense to your client.

I once heard my friend who works at Acer and gotten into an argument with Michael Young when he visited Acer and criticized how’ boring’ the products are. So my friend challenges him to try working there for a month, see if he would survive…It’s a whole new ball game here and it’s gonna stay this way for long time. But without it, imagine what the world would become.

I agree with Zerosoul on the physical models. Personally, if I were a teacher, I would have my first and second year students do alot of modeling with their hands, more sculptural stuff. I am far from a form-master, but most of what I learned, I learned cutting, scrapping, sanding and pasting. On computer, I’ve found that alot more looks good than in real life.

As for Asian designers…personally, I’m really impressed with the quality of this particular class that Molested Cow posted. The worst student is not far off the best.

I recently viewed final projects from a school in eastern Canada. Let me tell you…there wasn’t one project that could hold a candle to this Korean class!

There are many schools in the US that have thrown out the “core skills” also. Many students at “good” reputation schools are not being educated how to do rapid concept work by hand. It comes down to the faculty. If no one is passionate about hand donw work ( 3D or 2D ), it is not put in the program. Quick, clean and comunicatve hand skills will never leave our industry. It is one of the most important skills a graduate can have in the bag of tricks.

:smiley:

Are these projects a comedy joke? Seriously…what is the point of these designs. Molested Cow is proving he has horrible taste.

I’m with the medical guy. Medical design is a much more credible profession.

I may have bad taste but I don’t despise any profession.