Ford Mach E

the wagon was awesome as was the GT fastback!

some images and specs floating about:

not terrible looking!

R

I agree. It it was called Escape I think people would be pumped about it. One of my classmates was on the design team. He worked on the first curvy Sonata, Genesis Coupe, and the Chrysler Crossfire. You can see his kind of full forms.

I’m not sure if this was the strategy but it seems like they are trying to beat the Tesla Model Y to market. This has similar specs, will be cheaper, and is arguably better looking. I’m just curious how the Mustang thing will play out.

Side note, I’m not sure why electric cars need their own branding, as Richard pointed out in the other thread. I for BMW, ID for VW, etc. VS just having the option, like the Kia Niro. There is an ICE version, a hybrid, and an EV version. They all look the same and there is no brand switch.

Damnit. It’s really pretty nice looking in those photos…

They did a much nicer job on the “grille” than Tesla has.

I actually think it’s a reasonable good looking car. Completely agree on the confusing Mustang branding though, it will be interesting to see how it fairs with production outside of the USA.

I also agree that the branding has no need to be different, but think it will continue until the marketing benefits around development, i.e. we are innovative and forward thinking, wears off for consumers. I thought this would have happened already given that virtually every car maker has some level of EV in the works.

Official photos have been coming out.

I have to say I’ve come around on this. 300mile range. Zero to 60mph sub 4 seconds on the GT model. Pricing 40-60k…

Ford has good designers, this isn’t bad. Like Yo said, when I think of it as a Ford, it’s (probably) a hit. They are out Teslaing Tesla. As a Mustang, I’m confused.

The good: I like that they experimented having a manual control inside the touchscreen (notice the physical knob).

The bad: those screens are giant and would give me a headache after driving for 5 minutes.

Last thought: the tech is driving the form factor right now. Batteries need to be low to keep COG low. Once the floor is packed with batteries, the cab has to be moved up 8" and that will give any car a more cross-over like shape. The only alternative is building smaller batteries, like the Honda Urban EV thing or building a longer car (Model S).

Good point regarding the packaging of the batteries, Ray. The VW ID3 is also taller than a Golf, I assume for the same reason. You do get a frunk. :slight_smile:

I was thinking the same thing regarding the physical knob on the center screen. Love that.

Ford now has 5 platforms down from 13, (so we’re back to the re-badging days). if this has any legs it’ll be a Bronco and/or Lincoln soon…

I don’t think Ford is out Tesla-ing Tesla. And packaging doesn’t explain the form I think when the Tesla Model 3 is a normal shaped car.

Anyhow, looks OK, but not that different than an Escape or something. Could have been an Escape Sport I think. Or I guess E-Scape Sport EchoBoost iTitantium Coupe Cross …

R

They are out Teslaing in that I’ve heard the Y is going to sell many more times than their other models and Ford is essentially beating them to that form factor.

LOL, E-Scape, how did marketing miss out on that one!

This article breaks it down to dollars per mile:

Audi E-Tron: $74,800 / 204 miles = $367/mi

Jaguar I-Pace: $69,500 / 234 miles = $297/mi

Tesla Model X Long Range: $84,990 / 328 miles = $259/mi

Tesla Model S Long Range: $79,990 / 373 miles = $214/mi

Ford Mustang Mach-E Select: $43,895 / 230 miles = $191/mi

Tesla Model 3 Performance: $56,990 / 310 miles = $184/mi

Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium: $50,600 / 300 miles = $169/mi

Nissan Leaf Plus: $36,550 / 226 miles = $162/mi

Chevrolet Bolt: $36,620 / 238 miles = $154/mi

Tesla Model 3 Long Range: $48,490 / 322 miles = $151/mi

Hyundai Kona EV: $36,950 / 258 miles = $143/mi

Also, some SUV side by sides

I doubt many people are cross shopping a Tesla and a Ford.

R

Tying this to the Mustang is a big disappointment for me, it makes me feel the folks at Ford are stuck in the past. If this was a completely new model I feel it would have made so much more of an impact on me as something new and fresh. Also, I felt this way with Tesla, and I stick to my stance with all of the copy cat followers, the i-pad stuck to the dash is bad design. If the Mach E had a different grille and was not part of the Mustang lineage I think it would be a win for me. At least its not as bad looking as the 2020 escape.

Yes. This is what I came here to say. American autos are always stuck in the past. The reason Tesla is doing so well is because it is an entirely “new” product (despite the fact that it isn’t new). Let’s face it - the cars themselves are not nice for a $100k luxury auto. They are nice compared to a Prius, but that is a pretty low bar. BUT It’s not about the car - people are buying an image and a new EV lifestyle. The Boomer Mustang generation is not buying EVs. This is a huge brand mistake that will piss off a lot of lifetime Mustang owners. I’ve never owned one - but I empathize with the latest Mustang design being the “best ever” … and now this 2 yrs later. GM does the same thing with all of its retro models. You would think they would have learned from the demise of Oldsmobile and Pontiac, but no - they continue to push nostalgia. It’s no wonder why young American consumers choose forward-thinking import brands.

Maybe they could have brought back the name Aerostar :slight_smile:

I’m with you guys on the naming. Leave the “grille” (what is the new name for grille like objects that are not grilles? EVs need that piece of jargon). I understand Mustang sales are likely projected to decrease exposing the model/nameplate to a slow protracted death… but so what. As long as Ford has the right products and the parent brand is in god shape, a nameplate can die out. Arguably it would be stronger if the Mustang went away for a decade and then the brought the nameplate back as a performance EV spec.

But the naming ship has sailed on this.

A Frill? Fake Grille? :wink:

R

oh, that is pretty solid. maybe Frille just to get that e in there :slight_smile: much better than what I had Grillaux (Grille + Faux)