So, what cars, then?

I watched one of the intro videos too. The turbine is just a great solution to the aero problem. You get sufficient downforce that you don’t kill yourself, but you get slippery aero and no huge wing too. It’s a win-win. Love the low weight, 4.0 V12, no power steering, the tach and simple displays (I think he says there are no colors on them), manual. I remember Honda wanted a 2.0L V8 for the S2000. Why not?

I’ve never driven or road in a supercar, but my 914 had no power steeing and I think my Miata didn’t either. They were so nice to drive. Power steering is an admission of design failure imho.

Supercars. meh.

The guys who buy them are not the same as the guys who can drive them. Driven properly, the guys who buy them will have the sweet baby jesus scared out of them.
What’s with the 3-minute electric motor “boost”? Is it called the “Vin Diesel” option?

So as a thought experiment, yes, I can see value to a supercar. But other than that, it is entirely a waste of resources. Leave real driving to the professionals.

I’m pretty much detached from the world of automobiles. Any real innovation for us regular mopes? In terms of either the end product or the manufacturing method? I like the idea of the UTVs, but the execution is too outdoors/hunter. Any urban versions?

Corollary to the “answer is always Miata” - unless its the Ariel Nomad.

I agree with you iab, except that now almost nothing is being made for the real world. We have these under-engineered hatchbacks with some plastic cladding and lift kits on them. I have to celebrate the rare moment that something actually thought out arrives.

I love the center perimeter lighting feature. I’ve been thinking about that and seen it in a few other concept cars, curious if it’d be more distracting among many cars or if it’d actually make it easier to define a cars outline at night.

Would definitely sign up to own that too. Anyone otherwise forced to go the conventional minivan route I’m sure would be all over that!

Hey, I love having a minivan. It’s damn convenient.

But I would drive that VW with pride, too. That huge hatch might be tricky in some instances, but it’s a cool take on the classic bus.

What a pleasant little car. The Core Board beat us to it!

Please give us the cute EVs :slight_smile:

You know… I can get behind this. Even though I almost feel like of you dropped 4 rings on the front it would be a pretty hot Audi.

Peugeot 508 Sport Engineered

Pretty slamming, minus the gratuitous slash in lieu of a belt line. Gas filler doors like that give engineers conniptions too. Front end is restrained, relative to everything else now. I like it! We’ll never see it.

Peugeot is doing pretty well lately, this explains why!

It’s not for everyone, but I want one. For some reason, I excuse mammoth grilles on Hyundais, they make it work. The giant dashboard TV is inexcusable in a sporty car though. I’m thinking of starting a company that will make blank panels to replace them.

Hyundai i20 N

agreed. Other than the wheels and the wing I love it… man that press image is so photoshopped on the flank and hood! … or maybe a render?

Amazing.

I was thinking more matte black plastic with a single DIN hole for a normal radio.

I remember as a boy lusting after Lancia Stratos and Subaru STis that were not available in NA. Now that no one makes those anymore and I have kids, I get to lust after the few forbidden reasonably priced station wagons left…

Not as nice as a Focus wagon, but pretty cool.

I’m shopping for a 3-5 year old XC70 or V70… it’s like trying to find a unicorn during a blue moon lunar eclipse.

I really don’t know why more wagons are not a thing. Same/more functionality than an SUV, looks better too.

I love my V90 R Wagon. Mostly. Functionally 100% Exterior 100%. Interior about 85% I wish the center screen was full tablet style like the Tesla/Polestar, and the Volvo nav/voice recognition is garbage, but otherwise it’s super. Materials and quality are top notch.

I’m on a lease and was going to trade up/out (Model X?) after but this is the last gen of wagons and thinking I should at least buy and hold and sell at a premium in a few years when they are hard to come by. With about 1000km on it per year, will be super low mileage too.

R

Is that a Jetta R SportsWagen or something? Passat R Wagon? Quite a color. Similar to the A4 All-Road it has that sliver of a wheel arch intersecting with the rear doors that just looks so, so compromised. All of the design themes converged at that point, and lo and behold, its a mess. The door guys were like “do you want this to actually close?”, the tooling hates the ridge coming nearly tangent off the hem, the designers are mad because the pyoooriteeey of the wheel arch is polluted…marketing says “hey, chrome the lower sills and lets sell this already”.

Slippy: I am currently a man in the desert. I don’t care what’s in the glass.

It’s a Golf Estate R.