Worst concept to production car fails

The problem with the Aztek was when they decided on a minivan platform.

Aztek was always ugly. Concept too.

R

“We’d fire the guy who greenlighted the Aztek if we could find anyone willing to admit it.”

:grin::grin::grin:

Oh man those Viper shots bring back sweet memories… so many hours spent behind the keyboard of a Viper in the Need For Speed 1. The graphics were never gonna get better than this.

The front end on the Crossfire changed a lot from concept to production.

I think it’s kind of obvious what the miss with the PT Cruiser was.

Interestingly, Craig Durfey had a hand in both the Viper and the VW Concept 1 designs that made it into production.

not production, but from concept 1 to concept 2… I’m guessing with some real side mirrors and a wheels this will be close to production…

Ouch, they are making it a Fiat 500 (in a bad way). The four doors ruin the proportions too. Ugh!

BTW: The round tail lights are clearly a result of focus groups. Lights used to be round on the front and square on the back, which gave this concept a geeky retro Japanese car look. Now, some non-designer with nothing to add must have said, “I know what would make this better, make all the lights round!”. Pin a medal on them.

Didn’t get better. But not too bad. I’m most surprised the logo got smaller. Usually that’s the first thing clients want bigger!

R

After looking at bigger pictures, it’s not bad. It still feels like it started as a Mini and is slowly turning into a CR-V.

Damnit. Why can’t we just this once get the deep DTM fenders??? WHY???

For me it went from “take my money”, to “yea, it’s fine, I guess”

Speaking of Fiat…

[/https://twitter.com/Jalopnik/status/1103048880244047876?s=19]

I love that FIAT concept::

and there is a PANDA hiding inside.

I do as well!

I think the giant, “FIAT” on the back might be too much. I do love that the 4 bars are back on the grille. I miss those! Weird thing is that the Fiat looks closer to a production car than the Honda. Come on Honda, add a little more concept back into that Urban EV!

Agree, seems like we have been seeing some weird logo sizing which I always take for looking at things on screen too much and not in scale … or people just like big logos at car companies.

I was looking at an old chevy pickup from the early 90’s and the logo seems absolutely tiny by today’s standards.

While on the topic of both Fiat and the 500, they apparently had a concept called the Trepiùno back in 2004 While not necessarily a fail, it’s pretty obvious what the end result was. The only main differences were the minor technological looks on the concept, and that the first production engine only ended up being 4 horses more powerful (concept had 54hp). And is it just me, or does the woman in the second picture look pregnant (just curious :grin:)

That looks like a very successful transition to production. I like the bumper on the concept more though. Why do we always need to add some more chrome and fake cut-outs in production?