Forgotten Concept Cars

Someone I know on twitter started a series of posts of forgotten concept cars that I thought was fun, so I thought I would try importing it here.

Kicking it off with this, the 2001 Audi Steppenwolf.

Imagine if the Q3 had looked like this.

DhXrNV8WsAEQuut.jpg

1 Like

Great idea! This concept wasn’t about style (it was a Saab 9000), but interesting anyway.

There have been a handful of concept cars that deviated from the steering wheel, and this is one of the more recent attempts (excluding autonomy). The '92 Saab Prometheus- a joystick-based drive-by-wire car.

Top Gear even had it on the show for a moment.

Man that Audi seems like a drug bulked TT

I think I found the spark for that Audi
IMG_3070.JPG

1983 ItalDesign Gabbiano… whenI was 13 I read an article about Giorgetto Giugiaro and I would dream about being his long lost nephew and getting to work at ItalDesign or something :slight_smile:

CITROËN GS CAMARGUE CONCEPT (1972)

keeping it French for this Friday the 13th. 1980 Citroen Karin

Italdesign Asgard

88id_asgard_4.jpg

b91b277eba28ce3a315460ce35646006.jpg

1 Like

I wonder if it would have driven like a boat. I’ve never quite understood high performance family vans.

I just looked this one up and saw the Aztec as well…that is pretty cool!

The '91 Renault Scenic was the father of modern SUV/MPV family cars and its design language with low belt line and large DLO definitely points to an electric future! It is the ancestor of the current Scenic and in philosophy also of the Citroen Cactus which we see everywhere at the moment.

When we think of Italian Design houses it is Bertone, Pininfarina, Italdesign, Giugaro. Who remembers Ghia? Next to the old '55 Lincoln Futura Batmobile and '79 Ford Probe I, they were also responsible for these which is what you get when Italians create muscle cars on an American chassis.

I saw that 1953 Cadillac a couple of years ago at the Art Center Classic. It still looks amazing. I always loved the smaller houses like Ghia, Zagato, and Touring as well.

That Scenic is really clean. As I get older I’m drawn more and more to things that look simple but have complex surfaces.

a little walk through concept car memory lane:

I remember seeing the firsts Citroen Xsara Picasso near the 2000 and It was like seeing a spaceship to me. Really different shapes and lines to what I was used to see back in the day…

The 1989 Isuzu 4200r which is notable for having 350hp … and a fax machine :rofl:

It is interesting that they had a nav system in this concept at this time.

1 Like

Very bulby for my taste, but it has some good lines.
The Citroen Xsara Picasso is still very popular and somehow this old futuristic design language still lasts.

1985 Nissan CUE-X Concept

1985_Nissan_CUE-X_concept_04.jpg

a shot of the interior