Forgotten Concept Cars

We got close. Citroen BX Break de Chasse concept (1986)

oh, that Citroen is so yum!

How do you change the rear tire on that thing?!?

Citroën-DS-678x380.jpg
Like that I suppose.

But the Citroën’s of those days really worked - they felt like spaceships, different somehow than the other cars.

'50’s, ‘60s and early ’70 Citroëns used Hydropneumatic suspension which relied on engine driven hydraulics to pressurize the suspension (and brakes). There was a lever between the seats that allowed you to fix a choice of two ride heights, and a third setting which pushed the suspension travel out to max- allowing access to the rear wheels. If you parked on uneven ground one of the rear wheels would inevitably lift off the ground completely! (My Parents had a GS that did this trick…)

Wild…

Citroen DS9

Ooooo

A friend told me one of his top 3 pick up designs was the Hummer H3T concept. I had forgotten it, but it’s actually pretty cool, even today. Somehow more purposeful and less gaudy than what Hummer actually produced.

oh wow, I totally forgot about that one. I think Nike actually collaborated on the tire treads and some interior fitments. That was happening right when I joined in '03. This would have been much nicer than the D-bag poster child lifestyle vehicles that did get made.

it reminded me of this small pickup concept I always loved, the Dodge M80. I thought for sure they would make this:

a few more shots of it.

I see some of the DNA for the production Dodge Nitro in the front. I’ve always liked the Nitro, it had a little concept car / Land Rover Defender vibe about it. Unfortunately, the interior and engineering seemed rushed.

agreed, I can see that. It had some nice clean lines. I’m not sure if that was non the Jeep Liberty platform, but I rented one of those once on a trip and it goes down as one of the worst drives of my life. I couldn’t believe that was a production vehicle that people paid money for…

Chrysler always made twice as many cars as they could make well. Not surprised.

It was a tidy design though, the second gen angular one.

Love the A-pillar merging into the hood and the very flat looking sides. As always, ruined by a 5mph Canadian bumper.

Oldsmobile O4 Concept (2001)

That floating dash looks straight out of 2019. What foresight!

The Volvo Tundra was a concept car built and designed by Bertone in 1979. Bertone was told to do “something delicious” based on the Volvo 343. It was rejected by Volvo who thought it was too modern and difficult to sell. Bertone instead sold a very similar design to Citroën, where it was produced as Citroën BX. The car featured a digital speedometer and was powered by a 1.4-litre four-cylinder engine giving 70 hp.
volvo_concepts_1979_wallpapers_2_b.jpg

13-52-132-volvo-tundra-concept-41939706.png

1988 Lincoln Machete
lincoln_machete_3.jpg
Lincoln_Machete_Concept_01.jpg

53a3e1ba7e372f0704fc84e769327ff8.jpg