Forgotten Concept Cars

1969 Mercedes C111
The precursor to the C112 above (which is beautiful, BTW)

Good orange wedgie…

1 Like

The C111 ended up becoming the Isdera. I believe the lead engineer from the project left and made it with their blessing. Isdera - Wikipedia

The C111 and C112 are both very cool, as far as I can tell they never actually produced a C112, which is too bad. The Isdera feels sort of like an early Veyron with the rounded front and sloping tail.

WHOA…

In 2006, Isdera introduced the Autobahnkurier AK116i, a controversially styled vehicle powered by two Mercedes-Benz V8 engines – one for each axle – from the W126-500SE, and reminiscent of a 1930s touring car.

the '91 reminds me of a Mosler Consulier GTP. It was not a concept, but a rare production car.

A truly forgotten one!

“Mercury is to be a design-driven brand,” said Lincoln-Mercury design director Gerry McGovern after presenting the Messenger concept (pictured) in 2003

“And by design driven, we mean you’re all fired, except the guy who sticks the chrome grilles on the Fords”

Nissan honestly could’ve done a great job entering the mid-engine supercar market during the 80s, with the MID4 I in 1985 and the MID4 II in 1987. YOu could tell they tried to get some influence from the Ferrari Testarossa, and a little influence from the gen-1 NSX.

That is awesome. I had seen the red one before but never the silver/white one.

Missing so far is Bellini’s Kar-a-Sutra…

…which became the precursor of the Renault ‘Espace’…

…which became the precursor to the ubiquitous ‘vans’ we see today.

Interview with Mario Bellini here:

(Via designboom )

A concept that definitely should’ve made it to production, the 2005 Chrysler Firepower. Not only would it have been a great luxury edition to the Viper, but it had a powerful 425hp 6.1L Hemi V8 under the hood.

I totally forgot about the Firepower!

Here is one from a bit further back, The 1984 Peugeot Quasar. It had screens galore and NAV!

16059748540_6db9bcab24.jpg

314734_68.jpg

1984_Peugeot_Quasar_concept_interior_01.jpg

1 Like

I hadn’t even seen the Chrysler Firepower. Looks mighty.

Here is another concept I wonder if anyone has seen before. The Italdesign Capsula from Giugaro’s designer hand.
It is one of the earlier concepts based on a universal platform, and I like how the body design is simplified towards something architectural.

I like concepts with a horizontal separation groove, also because it reminds of a platform chassis and interchangeable body. Vauxhall Equus, Corvette Nivola, VW Orbit, Bertone NSU Trapeze, and one of my own doodles for a supercar the Surinam government was to build some years ago to show off their aluminum - unfortunately that never happened.
bertone-nsu-trapeze-02.jpg

1 Like

I had forgotten about this, but dig it. It looks like the evolution of the 914 that never was. 2006 VW Eco Racer.

1 Like

Wow, I totally forgot about that one!

So that car was done in 2006, Peter Schreyer’s last year as head of design for VW/Audi… then he became Chief Design Officer of Kia in 2007 and in 2014 they do the Stinger concept car… which looks like this. Was he flipping the bird? Giving a concept a second shot? Fixing something he wasn’t happy with?

https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/vehicles/concept-cars/gt4-stinger

1 Like

Great design on the Stinger concept, it reminds somewhat of the Audi Avus in 1991 of which several design features led to the TT and R8.

1 Like

The Avus might be my favorite all time. Love the polished alu body and crazy cab forward proportions. Makes an R8 look pedistrian.

I keep a matchbox of the Avus on my desk at all times. It still looks fresh. Simple form, Hines materials, bold proportions… these things don’t date. Unlike almost everything we are seeing being put out in automotive today.

This Mitsubishi HSR research concept reminds of the Peugeot Quasar, but a few years later and Colani-esque inspirations here.
Mitsubishi_HSR_Concept1987-2.jpg